• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC won't open

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, I installed the latest Adobe Reader.  In doing so, the new Adobe Acrobat Reader DC became my default PDF viewer and worked for about a week.  For that week, I was able to view any PDFs in my files and loved using the system.  Then a few days ago, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC stopped working.  Now it won't open any PDFs new and old.  I have closed the app and reopened it.  I've restarted my computer.  The majority of my documents are PDFs so I rely on this app and am very frustrated that it stopped working.  I've clicked the help menu to see if I need an update, but it says everything is up to date.  Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

I have a very simple solution that worked.  My laptop is running Windows 10.  I right clicked on the Adobe shortcut Icon on my desktop then slected "Troubleshoot compatability" and the windows compatability checker scanned the program and reset the compatability mode to Windows 8.  It will make you test it before you can close the checker but my pdfs are now opening and Adobe Reader is now functioning as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- What exactly happens when you try to open PDFs?

Nothing.

- Do you get any error message?

Nope.

- Are you experiencing this issue on Windows Or Mac?

I experienced it in Windows, but I have read some Mac users complaining about the same problem (e. g., tanya.roust​ here)

- What is the OS version installed on the machine?

In my case, Windows 8.1.

- Did you make any changes to the system after which you have started experiencing this issue?

Sort of. I did a clean reboot to see what was making Starcraft II not recognize my bluetooth speaker. After that, even after several, countless reboots both clean and "dirty", Reader completely stopped working.

I did not make a proper change to the system; I merely tried a clean reboot. I don't remember installing or installing anything in the process.

- Please share the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using.

The issue still happens in the latest patch of the latest version (I believe it was released nary a week ago). However, I tested each and every version since 6.0 and the same issue happens in all of them.

- Can you open Reader application directly without any issue?

Nope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issues.

I have read through this thread and tried all the suggested steps. Nothing has worked.

Who do we need to speak to that can actually do something to help us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having this problem several days ago, after utilizing Adobe Acrobat Reader DC without ever having an issue. I have tried every fix you have suggested, except uninstall and reinstall. It is not just that I cannot open or print the documents. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC does not respond at all when I try to open it.

What exactly happens when you try to open PDFs?

Nothing! I can preview the document, but that is all.  This is what it looks like.

- Do you get any error message?

None whatsoever.

- Are you experiencing this issue on Windows Or Mac?

Windows 7

- What is the OS version installed on the machine?

Windows 7 Professional

- Did you make any changes to the system after which you have started experiencing this issue?

NO!!!

- Please share the version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC you are using.

- Can you open Reader application directly without any issue?

NO!!!

This problem is occurring whether I scan documents in or download a file.  This is a major operational problem for my business!  Please address this problem ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please try once to create a new user account on your machine.

Then install the application and check if that works there or not.

Also, check if you are able to launch the application in the safe mode.

Please help us with the information what happens in each case.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can already tell none of these steps will work, since I have already tried them with no results. Please check the topic I posted which lists the exact same problems and how the exact same steps did not work: Unable to download older versions of Adobe Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, tried all of the above solutions, and nothing worked.  Eventually discovered that the problem was unrelated to the Acrobat Reader installation, but was something corrupted in the Windows 10 system files.

Following these instructions solved the issue. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

I only needed the first step:

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click on CMD.exe and choose 'Run as Adminstrator'
  • Enter this command:  C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  • Wait about 30 minutes until the command successfully completes. Note that the command will just sit there with no indication of progress at all for many minutes.  Be patient.

Hope that helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that, but it didn't work. Any more ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me in Windows 10.

- Open the Task Manager

- In the Processes tab, Apps section, select any instances of Adobe Reader and click End Task

- In the Background processes section, select any instances of Adobe Reader and click End Task

- Go to the Details tab, select any instances of AcroRd32.exe and click End Task

Try to open a pdf document as normal.

It seems that multiple instances of Adobe Reader get stuck and all need to be manually killed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still didn't work. When I checked the task managers, no Adobe Reader apps or processes are active, and there are no instances of AcroRd32.exe in the Details tab. Nevertheless, the Reader still does not open.

Adobe support team, help us please? Pretty please? Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read through this whole thread from a number of months ago. I think I'm having the same issue as you, since Acrobat DC has suddenly stopped working on my computer, and nothing I've tried seems to be able to fix it. I've gone through all sorts of steps and haven't had any luck. Did you ever hear back from anyone else at Adobe or manage to figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Window menu, and select Cascade (after opening a PDF).

Your PDF is open, but off screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem (Windows 10), tried everything in this thread, nothing worked.

Started trying random stuff, turns out running it in Windows 7 compatibility mode works.

Might not work for anyone else, but considering how long I had this issue, I though I should just put it up here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, Windows 10, tried everything in this thread. iSupes got it right. Go to the program , right click, and check compatability. In my case the app tried Windows 8 and it works! Crazy but true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I registered an account just to like and reply to this answer as this was what fixed it for me too! Like ootf my solution was Windows 8 compatibility!

So for all others go to the programs folder, in my case:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader

right click on "AcroRd32.exe" and select properties. Then in the Compatibility tab check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 8. Hit apply and with luck you should now be able to open any .pdf file again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cabola Selecting Windows 8 compatibility worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very simple solution that worked.  My laptop is running Windows 10.  I right clicked on the Adobe shortcut Icon on my desktop then slected "Troubleshoot compatability" and the windows compatability checker scanned the program and reset the compatability mode to Windows 8.  It will make you test it before you can close the checker but my pdfs are now opening and Adobe Reader is now functioning as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That CDT help solved my problem. 

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the suggestions worked. I uninstalled Adobe Reader 10, then downloaded Adobe Reader 9.1 (from https://adobe-reader.apponic.com/9.1-9/) and installed that. That works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have windows 10 on my laptop. Adobe Acrobat reader was working until couple of days ago. 

strangely my new office programs stop launching before Adobe. so spend couple of days sorting that out. Once I back on my project and tried to save it on pdf I noticed that it too stopped opening. 

I first change/repaired it through programme and features. did not helped.

Then I remove the programme and install it new, did not worked.

next I followed what was by you; right clicked troubleshoot, windows 8 clicked test, nothing happened.

Finally I right click on Adobe Reader and run it as administrator. This told me that Adobe cannot open in protected mode, so asked me if I want  to open in in non protective mode. (Did a quick search and it seem that sometimes anti virus programs can stop a programme from opening.)

anyway I did chose to open it this way and it did worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Compatibility Mode fix works selecting Windows 8...I've fixed 2 machines now using this work around!

See thread on page 1 from 2016...Thanks for fixing this issue MS...NOT!!

Microsoft wants everyone using Edge for opening PDF's, so it's possible they won't fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, thank you, thank you CTD Help!!!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines