Today, all workstations at our company running Adobe Reader 10.1.4 will have an AppCrash. These are all HP thin clients running Windows 7 Embedded. Adobe will crash about 10 seconds after launch, every time. When I blacklist acroipm.adobe.com at our Corporate firewall so it cannot download messages.zip, all works fine - at least for now. Due to DC's inability to turn off auto updates, we cannot use that. I have tried unchecking the automatic updates box under Preferences->Trust Manager it still will crash. If I apply updates to update to 10.1.16, it crashes immediately without trying to download messages.zip. Is this a problem that started today at Adobe? All worked fine yesterday. We have multiple offices and many workstations all having the same issue. Does anyone know how to fix this without a blacklist of Adobe sites?
Hi D.P. we have a very similar issue that started today at 10 AM EST.
Same version - Adobe 10.1.4. One of our customers uses it with Citrix. The same problem does not happen on Adobe Reader 11. Do you have any more insights since you reported the problem?
So far, no. I have tried to remove V 10 and install V 11 but my HP Thin Clients do not have enough space to run V 11. For now, blacklisting and blocking the Adobe site from accessing messages.zip seems to work but is not a permanent fix. Unfortunately I do not have Adobe support so I cannot contact them regarding this. It appears the message.zip file on acroipm.adobe.com in /10/rdr/enu/win/nooem/none/message.zip is either corrupted or infected. V 11 uses message.zip in a different folder so that is probably why V 11 is working.
We are also faceing the same problem, but with different version numbers. All our Adobe Reader 11.0 versions are affected. Older as well as newer versions (e.g. DC) are working fine. After blocking the URL acroipm.adobe.com (as @D.P. mentioned before) the application does not crash anymore. However, I'm wondering: What exactly does the program download every time it starts with the message.zip file and more important: how can we stop this behaviour?
Interesting you have this problem with V11, @vainsd84 did not and I was OK with V11 before I blacklisted the Adobe URL's - it was only V10 that was causing me the appcrash. I saw from my firewall logs V10 and V11 download a different message.zip, maybe V11's is now corrupt like V10's causing an appcrash for both now? Adobe PDF should not be going out to the internet to download anything if all updates are turned off so I am confused why it is doing this. I have auto updates off and download trusted certs off but it still goes to acroipm.adobe.com (now blocked). It has to be a corruption in the message.zip file - I would think Adobe would have this fixed by now. I guess blocking Adobe via my firewall is going to be the permanent solution unless Adobe can get this fixed. Hopefully Adobe will address this problem soon.
Same here. Adobe Reader XI v11.0 on Windows 7. We blacklist acroipm.adobe.com and it seems ok. No crash anymore!
Same here. After blocking the URL it works again – thanks! I must admit, that this is the most rude and naughty way to tray pushing customers to the monthly payroll in hacking our systems. We officially bought and own CS6 and now Adobe is clearly doing sabotage on old customers. There are small schools and business who can not afford to rent Adobe products. The Adobe monopoly is getting way to powerful in this business. Shame they act like this and don't respect us. Peace.