Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC: cannot extract embedded font "BKQYDZ+DejaVuSansCondensed"

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

since the last update of Adobe Reader DC (15.017.20050) , I am getting trouble when opening pdfs.

The message below is thrown and language specified characters are not displayed.

The PDF is working well in

Foxit Reader

pdf.js (firefox)

chrome embedded viewer

and rendering components used by third party software.

Can you check the issue please?

Anyone found a workaround yet?

Thanks alot!

cherry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader is going to be a lot pickier about fully compliant pdf files than a 3rd party viewer. This encourages pdf's to be created properly.

More than likely, there is a problem with the font itself on the creators end or they need to fully embed the font info and not just the subsets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, I made similar expierience.

Running some linux pdf info tools showes that subsets are embed though.

1.png

Furthermore, we are doing internal investigation about the generation issue (documents are created by jee backend though).

Unfortunatly the new reader seems not to be as permissive as the predecessor.

Is there a integrity tool (from adobe?) to do a better integry check of the broken documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cherrypalmerhost wrote:

Unfortunatly the new reader seems not to be as permissive as the predecessor.

That is typical. Every new version seems to be more stringent on pdf specifications than the last.

As long as you are creating pdf files with third party tools, you'll probably have to deal with these things from time to time.

cherrypalmerhost wrote:

Is there a integrity tool (from adobe?) to do a better integry check of the broken documents?

Depends on what you are looking for. If you need something that tells you what is specifically wrong with a pdf file, Acrobat Pro has some pre-press tools available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice.

I did some checks with preflight. It is German but the green arrow will give u the clue.

preflight.png

No errors have been found here.

Nevertheless I think it is a reader but meanwhile:

Cannot extract the embedded font MPDFAA++DejaVuSansCondensed...

Graffiti, subsetting is common sense when creating pdf, dont you agree?

pdf files might be very large when the full fonts instead of subsets are used...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cherrypalmerhost,

I just found a solution. Please check it here: Re: Cannot extract the embedded font MPDFAA++DejaVuSansCondensed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We have released a patch that fixes this font issue. Please download it from the page here and click to apply the same over your existing installation:

Release notes | Adobe Acrobat DC, Acrobat Reader DC | Update, July 21, 2016

Thanks,

-ashu 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PDF's that I've opened many, many times, that NOW are exhibiting this missing font issue "Cannot extract the embedded font..." and the only thing I can attribute it to is a Microsoft Windows 10 update.

I've uninstalled Acrobat, and reinstalled it, still no luck.

Any thought's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting -- I'm seeing the same thing. I'm seeing this issue on several PDFs that I didn't see yesterday. For me, it's just this one font.

adobe-embedded-font-error081519.PNG

No issues with any of the TrueType fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The engineering teams are aware of the issue and further investigating the root cause. We will share an update on this issue soon.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any update onto the fix? we are getting the same error but looks like for a different font face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update did not fix the issue. It seems to be with fonts from Adobe fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This still happens everytime I export a PDF from InDesign using the "Calluna Sans" font from Adobe Fonts. Is there any fix in sight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it's related to the release that happened yesterday:

Image preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines