Highlighted

Adobe Reader DC crashes

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be an old problem which many people have never figured out how to solve.  Adobe Reader DC used to work fine on my W10 desktop PC, but suddenly, even though I haven't made any changes to my system, it always crashes with no error message after about 20 seconds. I have tried every solution I can find on the internet, including updating Adobe Reader PC to the latest version, uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest version, running Repair Acrobat Installation while no other applications are running, turning off protected view, launching Distiller AD to check if Acrobat DC is activated, and several others.  If you can find a solution suggested on the internet, I have almost also found it and tried it without success.  So now Acrobat DC is useless to me.  Has anyone ever found a solution to this that actually works?

Topics

Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Reader DC crashes

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be an old problem which many people have never figured out how to solve.  Adobe Reader DC used to work fine on my W10 desktop PC, but suddenly, even though I haven't made any changes to my system, it always crashes with no error message after about 20 seconds. I have tried every solution I can find on the internet, including updating Adobe Reader PC to the latest version, uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest version, running Repair Acrobat Installation while no other applications are running, turning off protected view, launching Distiller AD to check if Acrobat DC is activated, and several others.  If you can find a solution suggested on the internet, I have almost also found it and tried it without success.  So now Acrobat DC is useless to me.  Has anyone ever found a solution to this that actually works?

Topics

Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted in the wrong community. Moving this to the Acrobat Reader Community.

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonc

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the application is crashing within 20 seconds

Would you mind sharing the version of the Adobe Acrobat reader you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Adobe Acrobat.

Is this a behavior with a particular file or is it crashing in general? If its a file specific issue, is the file located on a shared network/drive? If yes, please try to download the file to your computer locally and then try to open it and check.

As you have already tried most of the troubleshooting steps and the issue still persists, please try to create a new test user profile on Windows with full admin rights and try to use the application there and check.

If it still doesn't work, please remove the application using the acrobat cleaner tool https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html  , reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the link https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ and update the application to the latest version 20.12.20043 from the help menu after installing the application.

Let us now how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I would like to point out that I am also experiencing the same issue as Jonc. I have also done all the same steps as Jonc, as well as the steps that you recommended, and the issue still persists.

The only difference between Jonc and myself is that I am running Adobe Acrobat DC Pro and the crash happens after X minutes rather than seconds.

The version of Adobe Acrobat DC Pro  that I am running is 20.12.20043

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
try67 LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original question was about Acrobat Reader. You're talking about Acrobat Pro... The two are not the same thing, despite the similar names. I suggest you post your question in the Acrobat forum, and include the OS version you have, what exactly happens, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC