Adobe Reader DC keeps crashing even after reinstall and replacing PC

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can really use some help on this help desk ticket that has been open for way too long and I am out of ideas. In short, we have a user who generates a report out of our financial software by selecting the text she needs and printing to a PDF file. She then takes that PDF file and opens it in Adobe Reader DC (latest version) and starts to highlight some text and add comments using the comment and fill & sign features and eventually the file just closes out with no warning or error. I have attempted to recreate this issue using the same PDF file, but it would not crash for me. We are all running Windows 10 Enterprise 1903 with Adobe Reader DC (current version 2019.021.20061). She would typically generate the file using MS print to PDF since she was upgraded to Windows 10. She did not have these issues when on Windows 7 and using CutePDF to generate the file. We attempted generate the PDF using CutePDF instead and it took longer to crash but it did eventually crash on her. I thought maybe it had something to with the version PDF file it was generating because MS Print to PDF created one that was version 1.7 and the CutePDF version was 1.6 but they both crashed so I am not sure that is it.

We have already attempted the following –

-Reinstalled Adobe Acrobat DC

-Reimaged Windows 10 PC

-Installed CutePDF to generate PDF file

-Testing the same PDF on a different system (no crash occurred)

-Modified compatibility settings for Adobe Reader to use Windows 7 settings

-Attempted to modify report an another PC (Windows 7) and it worked fine

-Replaced the PC completely with another Windows 10 HP HP ProDesk 400 G5 SFF (same model)

I have attached the reported errors from event viewer but I am unable to upload full crash logs due to privacy but there were no other reported errors before or after this occurred.

She has taken to saving frequently to avoid losing all the changes she made but I would love to fully resolve this issue and close out this ticket. What makes it even tougher to troubleshoot is that it is intermittent. She could go a few days before experiencing another crash. The user has stated that it seems to not crash while working with smaller reports. I do not feel this is related to a lack of memory because she has 8 GB of RAM and I believe I checked the RAM usage when it crashed before.

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate, Crash or freeze, Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there 

We are sorry for the trouble and the experience. As described above the application crashes without any error message.

Is this a behavior with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs she try to annotate and add comments. Please try highlighting and commenting on a different PDF file and check. 

Also, please share the PDF file with us for testing via private message. Click on the message icon on the top right corner of the screen to start the private message.

Try removing the application as follows:

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user account with full admin rights and try using the application there and check. You might need to repair the user profile in which you are experiencing the issue.

Also, please collect the crash logs as described in the help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html) and share the logs with us for testing.

Let us know how it goes 

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines