• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADOBE READER DC - No thumbnails

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows 10 and I have Acrobat Reader DC installed in it.

Much earlier, I had enabled the thumbnail view for windows explorer from Adobe Reader's Preferences --> General --> Enable PDF thumbnails preview.

When I click on Generate System Report, I have observed that on 2 Feb 2021, a plugin has got automatically installed. After this day, the thumbnail view in windows explorer is not working anymore, inspite of it being enabled in preferences of Adobe Reader DC.

How do I make this thumbnail view work again in Windows Explorer?

I attach the System Report file generated by Adobe Reader and also the screenshot of the settings present at the moment with Adove Reader DC with this message.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the trouble caused.

Please use the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/thumbnail-preview-does-not-appear-after-updating-reader.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I just finished with their tech support about this problem, and it appears there is no solution at the moment. Basically, the new update that Adobe pumped up has this problem. If you go back to the older version, it works fine. The problem? You can't go back to the older version. I tried to download an older version setup file, and it refuse to install the older version. This tech support was actully able to install the older version and the problem went away. Still, it won't be a fix for me because (according to them) I can't prevent the auto update on the reader. They said, they will put this matter on the highest priority. But in the meantime, we are stuck with the problem. There is, however, an alternative solution if thumbnail is very important to you. Something like this happened a few years back when Windows was updating to Windows 7. The thumbnail for PDF wasn't working and there was a 3rd party fix for it. It still is out there and it still works (but with a small icon attached to the bottom of the thumbnail). It was at the time for fix on 64-bit version and it still works. (Not sure about 32-bit though since I stopped using 32-bit forever ago). Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails (pretentiousname.com)

Hey guys. Try the link above. It was done about 10 years ago, but it would work on this new issue. I believe it is basically a registry tweak (not sure 100% how it works but it does). The new update from Adobe was to address some security concern. You can fall back to the older version, but I think this solution would be better for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks wonderfulpeople! I had downloaded the fix earlier after reading another post, but didn't try it until your comment a few hours ago. It works just fine on both laptops - with Adobe Reader DC and Adobe Acrobat XI. I understand I may have to reinstall the fix if Adobe flushes out another updatte before thry correct the problem, but that's a livable option rather than the alternative. So thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avishek,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble.

This is a known issue with the latest version and the team is working on the fix.

We will update you once the fix will be available.

We appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

This issue of the latest update for Acrobat Reader DC causing Reader to cease automatically creating thumnails is really a significant matter. Will the repairing "fix" be in the form of an automatic update?

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Meenakshi,

In the interim, would it be possible to post the older version (that automatically created thumbnails) or a link to it  which "wonderfulpeople" mentioned that a tech support was actully able to install for them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the trouble caused.

Please use the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/thumbnail-preview-does-not-appear-after-updating-reader.html 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Meenakshi!

After the Feb. 15 post from wonderfulpeople (above) I tried the May 2011 fix (Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails (pretentiousname.com)) posted by Pretentious Name and that fixed the problem, at least until the next Adobe Reader update is issued. However, I'll give your workaround a try sometime over the next few days and post an observation of the results. Thanks again for getting back to all of us on this.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Meenakshi,

Just a clarification please. In your instructions you indicate to create a new key, EULA, under path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AdobeViewer. Then to create a new REG_DWORD (in the new EULA key?) with the value of 1. What should the name of the new REG_DWORD in the EULA key be?

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Meenakshi (or anyone with an answer)

Again, I just a clarification please from Meenakshi's Feb. 17 recomendation link. In his post Meenakshi included a link to instructions that indicated to create a new key, EULA, under path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AdobeViewer. Then to create a new REG_DWORD (in the new EULA key?) with the value of 1. But the newly created REG_DWORD requires a label/name. What should the name of the new REG_DWORD in the EULA key be?

Thanks again,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Appreciate the support that your have provided.

Maybe, this fix will work and solve the current problem.

But, it would be glorious if Adobe can manage to induct this fix in it's future update to rectify this matter. Many people are not so tech-savy. For them a complete package is always easy to handle. Moreover, a perfect product from Adobe is always more acceptable.

Hope you can understand the matter.

Regards

Avishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Meenakshi, thanks again for the solution but PLEASE, I need a clarification. I posted a request from you a couple of times since you posted your Feb. 17 solution, but I haven't heard back from you or anyone else.

Your solution seems to call for the creation of a new REG_DWORD key, named EULA, value 1, under the existing key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AdobeViewer

Do you mean:

(1) create a new "key" (a tan colored folder) in the existing HKCU\...\AdobeViewer key, and name it EULA, and then in that new EULA key create a new REG_DWORD [DWORD (32-bit) Value] and name it EULA with a value of 1?

OR

(2) do you mean to create a new REG_DWORD [DWORD (32-bit) Value] (EULA name, VALUE 1) in the existing HKCU\...\AdobeViewer key?

I need this clarification becuase when option (1) above is used a name is required for the new REG_DWORD [DWORD (32-bit) Value] created in the new EULA key. After you create the new EULA key a new (Default) REG-SZ [String Value] is automatically created in the new EULA key (as is, of course, the cae whenever a new key is created). So I need a name for the new component of the new EULA key - the newly created REG_DWORD [DWORD (32-bit) Value].

Thanks again,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines