• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC won't open files on network drives

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the last update (2018.001.20040), Adobe Reader DC has been acting oddly. It now requires UAC approval upon opening every document, even if the reader is already open and displaying other documents. It also won't open any PDF's that are located on network drives saying, "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found." If the same files are copied to my hard drive, they open just fine. It does not appear to be a permissions issue as my account is set for full control for these files and directories. I am also the administrator account on my PC as well as the network and server.

Adobe reader is set to run as administrator (which I have no recollection of setting), and if I turn this setting off, it will not open ANY documents. It gives no error, they just don't open and the reader shows the recent file screen.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program multiple times, downloaded a slightly older version (2018.001.20035), with no change in behavior. I tried using the AdobeAcroCleaner_DC2015 tool, which seemed to run successfully, but resulted in no improvement upon reinstalling.

This is a Windows 7 Pro computer.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Finally resolved this issue. For whatever reason, when reinstalling Adobe Reader it was automatically setting the program to "Run as Administrator". I had to close all instances of Adobe Reader and go to Properties - Compatibility - select "change settings for all users" - and deselect "Run this program as an administrator" under the "Privilege Level" area, then hit the Apply button. I had tried this multiple times unsuccessfully before, but I must've had an instance of the program still running

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi glenng105,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Let me know if my below understanding is correct:

• Issue does not look to be Adobe Reader version specific as you are experiencing the same issue for earlier Adobe Reader versions too.

Can you please verify the behavior of Non PDF files at your end.

• Like try opening MS Word files

Thanks,

Shakti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Shakti,

All other files work fine from the network drives; Word files, Autocad, Solidworks, images, Excel, etc. Sorry for the delayed response - I was out of town yesterday.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi glenng105,

You mentioned below things:

Since the last update (2018.001.20040) which means that issue started appearing from the latest release.

downloaded a slightly older version (2018.001.20035), with no change in behavior. which means that the behavior can is also reproducible for earlier versions of Reader as well.

Please let me know:

1. Can you please confirm that you started seeing the behavior after the Adobe Reader update ?
  2. Is there any OS update also on your machine around the same time as Adobe Reader update?
  3. Can you send the UAC setting on your machine for both internet and intranet.

Thanks,

Shakti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shakti,

1. As the problem started last week, I can't 100% say which was first - the Reader update or the windows updates. But the issue did begin on Friday, May 11th. My guess would be that I ran windows updates first.

2. I ran windows update on May 11th. The following updates were installed:

• 2018-05 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4103718)
  • Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.267.1161.0)
  • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - May 2018 (KB890830)
  • 2018-05 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4099633)

3. My UAC setting is one step above Never notify: "Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)". I do not use internet explorer, but the security settings under control panel, internet properties, security tab are: internet (medium-high w/ protected mode enabled), intranet (medium-low w/ protected mode disabled), trusted sites (medium w/ protected mode disabled), restricted sites (high w/ protected mode enabled).

Thanks,

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally resolved this issue. For whatever reason, when reinstalling Adobe Reader it was automatically setting the program to "Run as Administrator". I had to close all instances of Adobe Reader and go to Properties - Compatibility - select "change settings for all users" - and deselect "Run this program as an administrator" under the "Privilege Level" area, then hit the Apply button. I had tried this multiple times unsuccessfully before, but I must've had an instance of the program still running, so it wouldn't stay deselected. Now the program runs normally without asking me for UAC permission upon opening each document, and I can open documents that are located on the server. Not sure why the program installed with the "Run this program as an administrator" option selected, but problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried ,,but now its asking for admin credential everytime whenever I open pdf files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All users must be set to be compatible with Windows 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Glenng105 you are a genius! I was unable to open any PDF files in Acrobat Pro DC until I changed the setting from "Run as administrator" for my PC.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally found this solution and it worked.  Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines