Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

perhaps anyone can help us...

Adobe Reader is fresh installed but it did not open the second
pdf from Explorer.

Opening second or more pdf from menu File - Open is working.

OS is Windows 7

Best Regards

Manuela

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Hello Anand,

user with full Admin rights is able to open more than one pdf from Explorer in a new tab.

Version is 2018.011.20058

We have no GPO for Adobe.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards

Manuela

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuela,

We're sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, try opening few PDF files with Adobe Reader from Window -> Cascade -> Tile and see if that brings up the PDFs. Make sure you are opening the files in Adobe Reader only, not on a browser.

You can also refer and try the suggestions from the following Adobe article Can't open PDF

Try repairing Adobe Reader once from help>repair installation(only for Windows), reboot the machine after repair. Check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader as well from help>check for updates, reboot the machine if you install any updates.

Is it specific to one PDF that you are not able to open or with all the PDF files?

If the issue persists, please use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove Adobe Reader Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine and install Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

If you still experience any issue, please disable the Protected Mode at startup in Adobe Reader's Preferences. Navigate to Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>uncheck the option ' Enable Protected Mode at startup'.

Note: Disabling the Protected mode is only for testing purpose, please enable it back.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anand,

thanks for your reply to my question!

we tried everything from this  - Can't open PDF

also we tried the cleaner tool, machine was rebootet and a fresh install from Adobe Reader DC directly from Adobe Website was done.

The problem - still is the same.

Disabling Protected Mode at Startup - if I choose this Adobe Reader opens all pdf from Explorer in a new tab as we want - it is enabled again now and again only the first pdf opens whith doubleclick from Explorer.

Hope this helps to find the solution.

Best regards

Manuela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuela,

We're sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please create a test user profile with full admin rights and check.

Is any Group policy is applied which is getting refreshed after some time? Is any security software installed and what is the version?

What is the current dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anand,

user with full Admin rights is able to open more than one pdf from Explorer in a new tab.

Version is 2018.011.20058

We have no GPO for Adobe.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards

Manuela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is back in Reader DC and I've managed to resolve it through a workaround.

The issue is that it is impossible to open any PDF from a server drive once Acrobat Reader DC is already open, whether a PDF is open in Reader DC or the Reader DC window is simply open without a PDF file loaded.

What's curious is that if you double click on a pdf file in a server folder it opens fine. The issue is that double-clicking a second PDF to open it in a new tab page doesn't do anything. The explorer window flickers and nothing else happens.

If you are having the issue I've just described try following my workaround solution.

SOLUTION:

Add the server folder location to the trusted locations. That's under Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>Add folder path

In the Browse For Folder window you will need to right click on 'Network' and map the network drive.

Example: \\server name\server folder

This issue has all the characteristics of a software bug and Adobe should resolve it asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theo,

Thank you for your solution. We are experienceing the exact same issue, and after adding our mapped drives to the trusted locations it seems the issue is happinng less but is not completely resolved. Do you know if Adobe is still monitoring this thread or if they are aware of this bug?

Thanks agian,

Travis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Travis, I am afraid I don't have the answer to your question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also having the same issue. Some locations on our network can open  multiple pdf's from the same location. Other locations on our network do not allow more than one PDF at a time. If I add trusted locations in the form of UNC,  File Name, or Host Name, does not help. Still can not open more than one at a time. Access premissions are the same. All locations are on mapped drives. All have DFS locations included.  If I turn off Protected mode, everything is fine. This is with acrobat reader DC 2020.009.20074

Why did this change?? This will be a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, can't open second file in DC even though it is in tabbed mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution in another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/can-not-open-more-than-one-pdf-file/m-p/9660900

In a nutshell do this:

Edit \ Preferences \ Security (Enhanced) \ Sandbox Protections - Disable 'Enable protected mode at startup'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Felix!

Was struggling with this for a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! This fixed it.

Thank you so much.

I found the solution in another thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/can-not-open-more-than-one-pdf-file/m-p/9660900

In a nutshell do this:

Edit \ Preferences \ Security (Enhanced) \ Sandbox Protections - Disable 'Enable protected mode at startup'. 

By @Felix5C49

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let me get this right. I have to diable protected mode at start up to disable the annoyance? Really? Although it worked.... it still has me shaking my head saying "Really Adobe?" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still present in 2023. I remember from long ago but not the solution. It seems to take a while after the first Reader install to become a fully baked bug. But once it occurs there's no cure but disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here too, on several machines. Friday ok, Monday 25/09/2023 not.
Workaround still works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines