Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe reader has stopped working

Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I try to open a pdf file or reader on its own I keep getting the following message.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem and then it says A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

The program was working fine last week so its only been happened recently.

I on windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling but still get same message,

This happened last year aswell but cant remember how I fixed it.

Can someone help please.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Sorry to repeat an earlier post, but I'm not sure if you tried it and if it didn't work.

1. Do you have the Preview Pane enabled in File Explorer? If so, can you disable it temporarily to see if the problem goes away? On Windows 8, in Explorer go to the View tab, and if the "Preview Pane" button is pressed, un-press it. On Windows 7, towards the top-right (towards the left of the help icon) there's a "Show the preview pane" button; un-press it.

2. Make sure the following directories exist on your

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynsey,

I will recommend you to follow the below steps in the given sequence.

Let me know if the issue persist.

Regards,

Aadesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issueScreenshot (21).png

it is happening since Acrobat reader DC updated automatically.

version  of Adobe acrobat reader DC is 15.023.20053

I on Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit

I tried this method but it didn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GCvijay

We have released an update today that fixes this issue. This update will be automatically applied to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader DC. You can also open Acrobat or Reader DC and visit Help > Check for updates to make sure you are on the latest patch.

Details about the release: Acrobat Help | Release notes | Acrobat DC, Acrobat Reader DC | Update 

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

-ashu

PS: Please mark the post as answered if this resolves your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that Adobe says this is fixed.  Someone brought this to my attention yesterday afternoon.  This is the first time I've seen this error. As some of the people in this thread mentioned on page 1 in 2015, this is affecting PDFs on our Sharepoint site and other web applications.  We are an insurance company.  We have a vendor who creates our Medicare documents.  We have a set of documents for people who get insurance through an employer (Group) and a set of documents for people who get insurance on their own (Individual).  The 2018 documents for Group open with no problems on Sharepoint and the Member Portal through our company website.  None of the Individual documents open.  We get the error that Adobe DC has stopped working.  Everyone in my department has PRO.  If I go to any of the Individual PDFs that I have saved on our department shared drive, they all open with no errors.  The problem has something to do with the file being uploaded to a web application.  It's almost like there is some setting that needs to be enabled or restricted.  All of the settings that were mentioned on the first page of this thread match what I see in my settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2015 Jun 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Lynst73

Considering this error message, I would suggest you to please try out the following steps:

• Using Windows Explorer, please navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader, then double-click on Eula.exe and accept the license agreement
  • Are you able to open Adobe Reader by itself?  If yes, try disabling Protected Mode [Edit | Preferences | Security (Enhanced)].
  • It could even be a malware issue; see http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-core-dll-error.html

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe:

I am having the same issue, but I have Acrobat X Pro.  I think we disabled Reader 11 as it was causing conflicts.  We'd like to continue using X Pro - please advise.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lnb38431

Could you please specify more as what and when exactly do you get this error message.

What version of OS you are using?

You might also try running the cleaner tool to remove all traces of Acrobat and Reader from your machine:

Refer: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Then, reinstall the software on your system and check again.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Windows 7.  We'll read and try that. Will let you know results.Thank you Anubha.

best-

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome lnb38431.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

errorCapture.PNG

that didn't take long... It just popped up.  This just started happening after we installed the latest updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader/  We have X Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lnb38431,

Could you please tell me if you are able to launch Reader successfully on its own.

Have you tried disabling Protected Mode as mentioned in my first comment above?

Also, try repairing Reader from the Help menu.

Please let me know.

Regards,

Anubha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - but launches as Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

I've disabled Protected Mode now.  I'll let you know what happens.  Also this recently happens when I open the 2nd pdf from IE 11.

ie adobe pdf Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lnb38431 wrote:

errorCapture.PNG

that didn't take long... It just popped up.  This just started happening after we installed the latest updates for Adobe Acrobat and Reader/  We have X Pro

I'm getting this error just today as well.  It happened right after Adobe Reader updated itself.  I get the error message randomly every 5-15 min but I work with PDFs all day.

I scanned to Malware and whatnot.. Found nothing.

The funny thing is.. Reader keeps working.. it doesn't close or freeze up.  Maybe Windows is picking up a false crash when Reader closes/opens documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JWaguespack - I did what Anubha suggested to disable Protected Mode and so far so good.  Pop-up free for several hours. I work with PDFs all day as well --  Have you ever seen this in IE 11?  It happens when I open a second pdf, a new tab launches then displays this...- ie adobe pdf Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lnb38431 wrote:

JWaguespack - I did what Anubha suggested to disable Protected Mode and so far so good.  Pop-up free for several hours. I work with PDFs all day as well --  Have you ever seen this in IE 11?  It happens when I open a second pdf, a new tab launches then displays this...- ie adobe pdf Capture.PNG

I haven't had that problem when viewing PDF with IE 11.  But all of our PDF are hosted on a secure SharePoint network.  Not sure if that could have something to do with the error you are getting.

I'll try disabling Protected Mode and see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what do I need to change in this window?  It seems protected view is already off.  No mention of a "Protected Mode"

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Launch Reader DC,Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced) uncheck Enable Protected Mode at Startup

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JWaguespack: You are using Acrobat. Acrobat does not have a Protected Mode (only Reader does).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashutoshmehra wrote:

JWaguespack: You are using Acrobat. Acrobat does not have a Protected Mode (only Reader does).

Now I'm double confusalated..

I dont even have Adobe Reader.. yet it keeps crashing when I open/close adobe docs.  Which explains why Acrobat doesn't close out the PDFs I'm viewing.. bc Acrobat is not crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

Please. I am having a problem any PDF and my adobe XI edition.  Yesterday, I got a prompt for a upgrade and that is when the problem started.  Pleae help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common ADOBE you've gotten us all dependent on your world class software - for which you charge a premium fee - don't leave us all in limbo - jump on this issue a release an upgrade fix TODAY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say, this is ridiculous!

I get this popup every 2-6 minutes or so. I shouldn't have to go search forms and uninstall my program to fix this.

Adobe, we are paying you for a working program. You need to fix this!

Acrobat DC error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Staff - I am having the same issue.  The only difference is that my Application Error Reads

The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occurred in the application at location 0x0012c31d 

Any help would be appreciated

Running:

Windows 7 Pro

64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

adobe acrobat reader dc has stopped working.png

Prior to the DC reader update, I rarely had a problem with the previous PDF reader. What is up with this? It keeps popping up ALL THE TIME!

I have a Adobe Suite subscription so I am always using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Other details:

- Windows 7 Pro 64bit

- Plenty of hd space and memory

I have tried removing, using the Adobe cleaner, and reinstalling. Waste of time b/c it did nothing to fix the problem.

As per a previous recommendation, I have added the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\DC\ToolsSearchCacheRdr folder.

Hopefully, that corrects the problem.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines