• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader icon not showing on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and I did a reset to start everything from fresh. I installed the latest version of Adobe Reader DC. After using it once and closing it, the icon no longer appears. I tried uninstalling and installing again, but no icon from the onset.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Try this solution ... it worked for me

Icon Adobe Reader DC on taskbar is wrong - Super User

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If any of the above solutions didn't work, try to change the default application for .ico files to Microsoft Paint.

Solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the tric for me to.

Nice find!

I found that it should not be the Prefered Windows 10 Photo app.

Paint is fine, but on my system so are others as Paint3D or Irfanview (I use 64 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You! this was driving me batty. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the cause:

The system tries to read the icon file at %SystemRoot%\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}\SC_Reader.ico (%SystemRoot% is C:\Windows or similar), but that icon is corrupted, therefore, the icon being shown is the icon provided by the default program that opens .ico files (default is Photos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2017 Sep 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dentedharp90041,

There are two things I question.

1 - I have changed the default programm for .ico to irfanview64 and than I got the correct Adobe Reader DC icon, not the Irfanview icon.

2 - I have checked the SC_Reader.ico at the location mentioned and on my system it does not appear corrupted. It opens correctly in Irfanview64.

So, maybe there is more to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is caused by Windows 10 Photos not being able to read the .ico file but external programs can. It's a Windows 10 Photos bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open the .ico file in several applications without any problem, but indeed not with the current Photo app.

When I try to open it in Photoshop Elements (with an ico plug-in) it also does not open and reports an idType error.

imageFile.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Windows Device Recovery Tool to fix a Lumia phone. The same thing happend. I updated this software after I changed the Photo app to no longer be the standard app for the .ico extension and now it also shows the correct icon.

Maybe this is not an Adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the solution with the help of previous hints. Just follow the steps below to resolve the issue:

1) Open folder of Start Menu containing shortcut to Acrobat Reader:

a) Select shortcut in Start Menu.

b) Right click on shortcut and select More, then Open file location.

2) Delete shortcut from Start Menu: Right click on shortcut and select Delete. (See: Adobe reader showing wrong icon in taskbar[Windows 8, 10] - YouTube)

3) Leave open this folder, and change to parent directory (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu)

4) Open another instance of Windows Explorer.

5) Find folder of Acrobat Reader DC in this new instance. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe)

6) Drag and drop AcroRd32.exe on Desktop by Right mouse button, then select Create shortcut here. (Or something similar, I am not sure, this is the exact menu, because I have Hungarian Windows version.)

7) Move shortcut created in step 6) from Desktop to Programs element of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu folder.

It's all, it worked me and I hope it will work you too:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how to place any icon on Taksbar : Windows 10

1 – Press windows key + i to reach system panel.

2 – Click on Notifications & actions in the left menu, and in the right side click on Turn system Icons on or off.

Source:- http://merabheja.com/how-to-place-any-icon-on-taksbar-windows-10/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe developers :

C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1036-7B44-AC0F074E4100}\SC_Reader.ico is not a valid icon file.

You MUST make a valid icon file otherwise your shortcut "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acrobat Reader DC.lnk" won't display an icon but the currently associated program to open ico files.

If you're not too dumb you'll patch it eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The icons at that path on a Windows 7 computer look perfect (C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1036-7B44-AC0F074E4100}).

If you copy those same exact files over to a Windows 10 computer, they are blank and they do not open.  Windows 10 just cannot read these files.

I temporally got PDF icons working again by changing my default handler of ico file to paint (which still doesn't open these ico files in 10).  But after a reboot it was back.  I remembered we use Group Policy to set default program handlers in Windows 10 using an XML file.  So I altered the XML file to default ICO files to Paint.  Now the issue is across multiple computers instead of showing the generic "photos app" icon, it showed the generic "paint" bitmap icon.  So I changed it back did gpupdate /force, rebooted and now I'm back to square 1 again.

Amazing after all this time a company with as many resources as Adobe can't seem to get this right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is again a very weird bug because i havent had this issue before and didn't touched our adobe acrobat packages but since last week the new windows 10 deployments are having this issue!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best solution is that.

First, notice that the problem is about windows and "windows photos" app which have some issues to open ico files.

The adobe reader ico files are not corrupted in folder c:\windows\installler\AC76BA86-7AD7-1036-7B44-AC0F074E4100\

The solution is adding an 3. party photo viewer to windows.

I use irfanview photo viewer at all. its free and usefull. (I use it all image types, that's your choice)

Make irfanview to be default program for opening *.ico files.

and then restart windows.

Thats all.

Now you see that start menu and taskbar tiles are became show adobe icons.

Sorry for bad english, moderator can correct the writing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source: https://windowsclassroom.com

These type of problem can be raised normally. To fix these type of problem restart your laptop, i think it will help but still you can't find adobe icon, type adobe in search bar and right click on result and go to file location. Now right click on file and shortcut icon on desktop. I hope you have understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best answer to this problem is this YouTube video by Joseph V M

How to fix Adobe Reader icon Missing/Broken/Changed issue in Windows 10 - YouTube

Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the solution.

I'm not very sure about whether those steps before the last one were necessary, so you guys can just skip to the last and then back forward to try. Because I cannot make this reappear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018-9-19

It reappeares! I change the "Open With" of the icon file to Photo UWP App. Just Reset the default apps should work well. The only option of normal icon file is edit action with Panting. So maybe that is why the icon files go abnormal. But why some icons show normal...

First of all, if you can make the thumbnails of icons in the C:\windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1036-7B44-AC0F074E4100} folder (different languages maybe in similar names) show normal, the problem can be solved. dentedharp90041gmpeetbertrand67​​mustafaa47657728KJSTech Thank you guys for the hint! The icons are in good condition and just can't show their thumbnails.

{

1. I delete two types of icon cache databases. "Iconcache.db" (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local) &  "iconcache_(32/64/...all of the directory).db" (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer) AadeshSingh I have tried it though, it didn't work.

2. Right-click on the Computer on the desktop, then select Properties, it will be show your computer's basic information. Then click the last on the left, it may be the Advanced Settings. Then choose the first Set button. Tick "Showing thumbnails, not icons".

[I'm using the non-English version of Windows. You may guess what they exactly means by the meanings.]1.png (Picture1) }

★★★3. Just RESET the default applications in new settings UI.2.png (Picture 2)

"12.ico" is just a test example, a bit strange though, it just shows.Adobe无图标2.pngBefore(Picture 3)

Then you may find: The icons come back!3.png After(Picture 4)

If you succeed, then congratulations! Sorry for the bad language skills, just want to help you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This maybe late reply but might help someone. Having faced this problem last night, my quick fix was to go to Control Panel, selected Adobe Acrobat DC and clicked on the 'Change' button next to 'Uninstall'. I did a repair of the installation and copied the newly created shortcut on the desktop and replaced the one in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Everything now shows normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i think the real problem is that the AppAssoc_de.xml or AppAssoc_en.xml has defined a wrong application for the .ico

so if you have a entry like this

<Identifier=".ico" ProgId="AppX43hnxtbyyps62jhe9sqpdzxn1790zetc" ApplicationName="Fotos" /> in the AppAssoc the AdobeReader Icon in the StartMenu seems to be broken.

The fastet way to fix this is to change the default app for the .ico from Fotos to another app like paint or irfanview!

If you want to broke the AdobeReader Icon in the StartMenu just make .ico to open with Fotos as default Application again.fotosicon.jpgpaintico.jpgnoassociationicon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the .ico file association to paint worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I gather, the cause is most likely an incorrectly configured Acrobat installation file by Adobe, causing Microsoft Photos to incorrectly read the .ico application image from from the Installer folder > _SC_Acrobat.ico file.

In this Super User thread, ( Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Shows Wrong Icon - Super User ) Minkus' suspicion is that Adobe broke Microsoft's rules for creating a Windows Installer package.

The Microsoft documentation states:

"Icon files that are associated with shortcuts must be in the EXE binary format and must be named such that their extension matches the extension of the target.... For example, if a shortcut is to point to a resource having the key file Red.bar, then the icon file must also have the extension .bar."

Yet, Adobe didn't follow this rule in their Acrobat MSI installer table entries, where they denoted the Acrobat application icons with ".ico" file name rather than ".exe."

He confirmed he could fix this by editing the Acrobat MSI with Orca and changing the ".ico" references to ".exe" and performing the installation of Acrobat with no missing icons. Why Adobe hasn't applied this fix yet is beyond me. I'm sure there is more going on in the program than we know.

For me, the solution (or at least the temporary fix), took a few different combined measures from this thread and others:

1. Switch the Windows 10 default app for .ico from Photos to Paint.
  2. Clear the icon and thumbnail cache with the terminal commands:
    1. ie4uinit -show

2. taskkill /im explorer.exe /f

3. del /f /q "%LocalAppData%\IconCache.db"

4. del /f /q "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache_*.db"

5. del /f /q "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db"

6. explorer

3. Toggle Windows 10 scaling to 175%, logout and login. Toggle back to 100%, logout and login. You can find this setting in Settings > System > Display > Scale and layout.

Hoping this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (39).pngScreenshot (40).png

I am facing a bit different issue. Icons are displaying normally after I did the Programs > Start Menu shortcut replace thing. All icons in start menu, taskbar etc are showing absolutely fine except for when I search Acrobat DC from the Windows 10 search. I tried many things like rebuilding the icon cache, switching to MS Paint for .ico files, resetting default apps from settings etc. but none of them seem to be fixing this problem. Also, here's the state of files in the below directory before I reset the default apps and after assigning the .ico extension to MS Paint as suggested by many users here. Nothing seems to work though, any help?

C:\Windows\Installer\{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-7760-0C0F074E4100}

Before:

Screenshot (41).png

After:

Screenshot (42).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This bug has been reported to Adobe using their Adobe Acrobat DC UserVoice -site:

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/35992135-acrobat...

Please everyone, when you are at the website linked above, click "Vote" and give your comments about this bug so therefore Adobe will give some extra effort to fix this annoying bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines