• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader no longer opens

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10.  After a recent Windows update, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will no longer open when I click on the icon, nor open when I right click and run as administrator.  If I click on a PDF file it will not open Reader either. 

I removed the Windows 10 update, and took my computer back to a restore point before Adobe Reader stopped working, but it still won't.

I tried using a Adobe Reader repair tool, rebooting, reinstalling Adobe Reader;  I tried simply uninstalling Adobe Reader myself and downloading it again and installing it, it still does not work.

I checked and Adobe Reader is the default app to open PDF files.

Under Windows Services, Adobe Acrobat Update Service is Running and set to Automatic.  So are Adobe Genuine Monitor Service and Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service. There is also an Adobe LM Service listed as Manual Startup type.

Frustrated, I loaded a program called PDF Viewer Plus, and that works to open the PDF's.  So I know they are not corrupt.

But I would like to use Adobe Reader again.

No other program on my computer has ceased to function, only Adobe Reader.

Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Thank you.  I had done most of what you suggested already.  I had not  created a test user profile, and it turns out I did not need to.

The problem was not caused by a Windows update at all;  it was actually caused by my antivirus, Avast.  I discovered that I could tell Adobe Reader to run with protected mode turned off.  I researched that on the web and discovered many people had the same problem, with various antivirus programs.  The solution with Avast was to remove a registry key: go to HKEY_

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adamlink,

I am sorry for the trouble you had with Adobe Reader, please try the following steps mentioned below and let us know how it goes:

• Reboot the machine once, then use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove any corrupt or conflicting installation files or leftover from previously install Adobe Reader Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs
  • Reboot the machine again.
  • Download the setup of the latest version of Adobe Reader from Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution
  • Locate the setup and Right-click on the setup file and click on ‘properties’.
  • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8/7 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.
  • Once this is done, restart the computer and locate Adobe Reader icon and choose 'Run as Administrator'
  • Once Adobe Reader is up, from help>check for updates, download the latest patch of Adobe Reader version 19.008.20074

If you still experience any issue, please create a test user profile with full admin rights or enable the hidden admin account and install Adobe Reader and check.

You may also disable any security software for temporary basis.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I had done most of what you suggested already.  I had not  created a test user profile, and it turns out I did not need to.

The problem was not caused by a Windows update at all;  it was actually caused by my antivirus, Avast.  I discovered that I could tell Adobe Reader to run with protected mode turned off.  I researched that on the web and discovered many people had the same problem, with various antivirus programs.  The solution with Avast was to remove a registry key: go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, then delete the key AcroRd32.exe

Reader worked after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adamlink,

Glad it's working now! Nice job troubleshooting that!

Thank you for sharing the workaround which will help other users facing the similar issue.

Feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. Thanks!

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

did not work with me!

Mohga

MohgaKY@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is overkill, but I've had this problem recur a few times and have managed to fix it, at least for the time being. 

I am running win10 pro, and running the latest version of Reader. The update service was running, but Reader DC would briefly open two processes, then terminate those processes shortly after attempting to open the program directly or when trying to open a PDF. 

I ran the removal tool, restarted, then ran the removal tool again to see if the tool would have failed (it didn't, so that's good). Reinstalling would show the same issue. Running the removal tool, reinstalling AND running in compatibility mode also did not help. My windows user profile was fine. 

I ended up needing to run the removal tool, restart, and then (do not do this unless you know what you're doing, and be very, very careful even if you do) go into the registry and delete all instances of "reader" and "acrobat," then restart, then reinstall Reader DC. Thankfully, this fixed the issue. No user should need to manually edit the registry for any reason, but it happens, and it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how long does it take adobe cleaner to finish?  It's been an hour and half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is similar AND recurring (like monthly!), with these differences:

I'm using Windows 8.1, not Windows 10. And when Reader stops opening, I eventually, after about 5 minutes, get "Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server". AND when I look in the folder to which I download programs, the Reader installation file readerdc_en_la_crd_install.exe is ALSO gone. It's gone now as I'm typing this, but Reader is functioning.

I have written myself a reminder to see if this happens every time I do a Windows update.

I thought at one time that the problem was caused by CCleaner's Registry Cleaner tool. But then I stopped letting if fix any problem it found that had "adobe" in it. That didn't stop the problem from recurring.

So, every time this happens, I have to uninstall reader and download the installation file again, which on DSL at 4.7MPS, takes for effing EVER.

Any new diagnoses since October, 2018?

Thank you.

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Terry!

I am sorry for the trouble you had and for the delayed response to your query.

Install the latest patch available of Adobe Reader DC 19.010.20098 from help>check for updates, reboot the machine and check.

let us know if you experience any issue.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for the info, it worked on my Win10 machine 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines