Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader Protected Mode issues

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

To quickly explain the protected mode has been an issue for us not allowing our users to do a save but forcing a save as all the time. Disabling this protected mode allows us to have them click save but of course closing Adobe reader and clicking save on exit also still forces a save as instead of a save (like any other app)

With that we have found the registry keys to add to the adobe customization wizard to disable this and the app container. What I am looking for is a way to deploy this using the same Adobe version. 

Ex: we already have the latest version in our environment and it wont reinstall and add the registry keys, it needs to be a fresh install for it to add the keys.

Is there a way to force the reinstall for it to add the keys?

And no I dont want to create GPO's for this right now, I want it done the right way through the customization of the app.

Thanks

Sheldon

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the specific registry key? I ask because that may take me to the right part of the documentation more quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I guess I should provide additional context, I was in a rush to get that posted earlier.

Scenario: supporting an old .net application from over a decade ago (or so it feels like anyway). This application is basically a custom CRM that can store documents and houses premade Adobe interactive PDF forms. The user generates a form, it downloads to the users appdata temp directory, works on the file and then is suppose to be able to click save and close the app where the CRM then grabs the file and uploads it to the database.

Issue: if the user gets prompted to save as, they arent overwriting the temp file in appdata and are saving it somewhere else because they dont know they need to overwrite that file. In essence they are then uploading a blank document.

If we manually put in the path for the user and overwrite the existing file it works fine.

The issue is the fact they get prompted to do a save as instead of just a save.

Disabling protected mode fixes this for the save button but not for exiting the application (cant find a fix for that yet)

So using Adobe Acrobat Customization Wizard we customized the install package but have already deployed the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC 20.013.20064 and therefore deploying it again with updated transform file it doesnt install because it detects its already installed.

Sandbox Protections — Acrobat Application Security Guide (adobe.com)

The keys in question are:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown]
"bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000
"bEnableProtectedModeAppContainer"=dword:00000000

What I am doing right now:

Created a .reg file and using SCCM to deploy this using a "reg import regfile.reg" command as a package. This works fine. As well as a fresh install of Adobe Acrobat Reader the keys add just fine.

Is there not a way to force reinstall of Adobe Reader?

For now the reg file will work.

However at this point looking for more insight about the actual issue rather (the save behaviour, for the save button and on exit still forcing a save as) than the way to deploy as I have found a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, I think I am with you. I misunderstood, I thought you'd found a way to turn off just that one annoying feature of protected mode.  So... you now have a working REG file, which is good. I would go with this, because otherwise you will need to remotely uninstall then reinstall to use your deployment package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines