Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X keeps crashing

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2011 Mar 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Ever since I installed this latest update it keeps crashing. I'm on a work computer running Windows XP professional. A lot of the time when I go to open a PDF it never opens, it just has the window up and blankness. Then when I try to close Adobe to reopen it, it won't close, and I always have to restart my computer to get it to work. This obviously wastes my time at work. I know I will most likely have to reinstall it, but I need to understand why it's happening in the first place as I don't want it to happen again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and cured it with the following procedure - copied from a post that I cannot now locate.

Browse to Program files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\

Right click on AcroRd32.exe, select properties

On compatibility tab, check "run in compatibility mode" and select Windows 2000

I don't understand it either, but it works. Thanks are due to the originator, not me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to the originator for the advice.

I'll set that up and see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to report this, but while my copy of Adobe

Reader does now start up and will display PDF

files, it keeps throwing annoying repeated copies

of the same message while in operation, without

appearing to actually shut down. In any case

something is still broken. I am thinking about

changing back to Foxit reader, at least until the

next Adobe update - expected within the week to

handle a zero-day vulnerability.

I was using Foxit (also free) happily until I

started reading really big files. Adobe is

significantly faster to navigate in a big file.

Cheers,

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The compatibility mode didn't work for me, as Adobe Reader didn't want to open in compatibility mode for some reason. However, Try editing the file (highlighting something, or adding a sticky note) then saving the file. I found that once edited and saved, adobe stops crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it did not completely work for me, either, but the continuing partial failure may provide an important clue.

After entering compatibility mode, Reader quit actually crashing but as I discovered after making my last post, something calling itself Adobe Reader still throws "sorry I have to close" messages. It does so when I mouse over any explorer window which has a .pdf document in it. I can acknowledge the pop-up to get rid of it, and it goes away without affecting any Reader window I may have open. So the problem is now an annoyance, not a show stopper.

Apparently it is now not Reader itself, but something else that tries to open and fails. I am guessing that it is some kind of so-called "helper" intrusion into explorer that tries to open when it looks like I might pretty soon ask to open a .pdf. That is just the kind of thing I don't want going on without my consent, so it is in a way fortunate that it is failing in a visible way. I have uninstalled Adobe's Reader in favor of Foxit's reader.

My choice between those two readers switches back and forth depending on what the latest version of the current one does to me. I last switched to Adobe when Foxit suddenly became very slow to scroll a large document. When this current problem cropped up, I tried the latest version of Foxit and found that they have fixed that, so switched back. I hope that Adobe quits this nonsense before Foxit breaks again.

Phil

PS  A friend just happened  by and suggested that the presence of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 on this old machine might have something to do with the whole situation. I'll uninstall that, but probably not reinstall Adobe Reader until something goes wrong with my present satisfactory configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem with Acrobat X Pro on win 10 64 bit up to date  it crashes after about 30 seconds. Strange thing is that when i open the program and select edit/preferences and don't change anything and just select okay the program won't crash. Strange thing is i have been using it fine for a year until i now had to reformat and re-install windows etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines