• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X - "There was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found."

Jan 05, 2011 Jan 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this is a retake on another thread, but the search engine on these forums isn't very intuitive, and the only thread I could find was related to installing Reader 9 after removing Reader X.

I get the below error message when I try to open a PDF file via a hyperlink in a XLSM spreadsheet. Excel locks up for a moment and Reader then opens the file (which it had just said it couldn't find...?). The file doesn't open until the message box has been dismissed (and Excel has un-frozen). Opening the same file via Explorer or the Reader "Open a Recent File" list or Reader "File" menu  does NOT produce the same error.

sshot.png

This issue ONLY started occurring after upgrading to Adobe Reader X. Reader 9 had no issues with opening these files via the same spreadsheet.

System Information:

Excel: Microsoft Excel 2010 version 14.0.4760.1000 (32-bit)

Reader: Adobe Reader X version 10.0.0 (assuming 32-bit...)

File Information:

Applications: PScript5.dll version 5.2.2

PDF Producer: Acrobat Distiller 9.2.0

PDF Version: 1.5 (Acrobat 6.x)

Thank you in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2011 Jan 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Uninstalled Adobe Reader X and reinstalled Adobe Reader 9 - still had similar issues and then some. Uninstalled Reader 9, deleted the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\" folder, reinstalled Reader 9 - no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2011 Jan 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  In my case, the first link opens quickly; but subsequent links in the same Excel file produce the brief freeze and then . . . error . . .  "This file cannot be found."  If I wait for about 20 seconds on this otherwise very fast machine, Acrobat Reader belatedly displays the PDF.

My fix is tantamount to uninstalling Reader X.

I also use Acrobat Pro 9.0, so I opened Acrobat Reader X > Preferences > General > Select default PDF Handler > changed this to Acrobat 9 Pro; and waited several minutes while 'installed' Acrobat 9 Pro.  After a restart, Reader X no longer gets in the way, and these shortcut links to PDF files open fine in Acrobat Pro.  I also told Windows to always open PDFs in Acrobat Pro.

Excel 2007 12.0.6545.5000 SP2
Reader: 10.0.0

Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
    Version: 9.4.0.195
    Creation Date: 2010/10/06
    Creation Time: 8:20:15 PM
Installed Acrobat: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
    Version: 10.0.0.396
    Creation Date: 2010/11/10
    Creation Time: 12:49:36 PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2011 Apr 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,
Adobe Prerelease Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines