• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All my pictures .jpeg have been converted to PDFs why?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my pictures .jpeg have been converted to PDFs and when I click on them I get the following error message: Adobe Reader could not open because it is either not a supported file or because the file has been damaged (example, it was sent as an email attachment & wasn't coded correctly.)

I am trying to open them from the File Explorer /pictures/  and the 'Type' column reads Adobe Acrobat.   I have never changed any .jpegs into adobe.

When I open Reader and look at Pic File Folder nothing shows up. This seemed to have happened some time in the last couple of weeks.

I am using Win 8, all up to date , ASUS laptop, Chrome 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just sounds like your file associations got out of whack and you need to change them back.

Here is a MS Knowledgebase document on how to change them so the proper application will open your .jpg files.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work with Windows 10 as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The above link doesn't answer my question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i too have just found out that all my photos in jpg format have been changed to pdf format on my iphone and on my main computer without me knowing it.  There are thousands of photos. I only found out when i tried to edit a photo and my editor would not let me do it.  Does anyone know why or how this has happened?  I have not changed anything at all.  I am pretty angry about this as i wanted to keep my photos in jpeg format.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your issue is completely different than the original poster's (iOS works very differently from Windows), please start a new topic in https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/ios

Or better contact Apple, as this does not seem to be an Adobe Reader issue.  Adobe Reader does not have any ability to convert or rename files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry i may have been confusing two issues here.  The main problem i have has nothing to do with iphone, it concerns my main computer running Windows 7.  i have many thousands of photographs going back to 1995 and yesterday i noticed that all of them have been converted from jpeg to pdf -- All of them! When i look for a solution on the internet it says get a converter programme to turn pdf into jpeg.  But there is something fundamentally wrong when my computer has done the conversion without me knowing and without me doing anything different. I fear that all my high resolution photos are now 'lost' in low resolution pdf files.  I run Adobe Acrobat XI Pro and so i assume that this may have something to do with it - the programme automatically upgraded recently.  But i may be wrong of course and it maybe a Windows 7 issue.  But if anyone can point me in the right direction please.  My issue with iphone was that i also noticed that my iphone has suddenly started saving pictures as pdfs as well.  this may be connected to my main problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand - I only noticed the iPhone reference.

Do your pictures still have the .jpg or .jpeg file extension, or do they actually have a .pdf file extension now?

If they are still .jpg/.jpeg, but automatically open with Adobe Reader or Acrobat, then it is simply a matter of the file association: your .jpg/.jpeg files need to be associated with your default imaging program, not Adobe Reader.

See these articles how to change the file association:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I think you have solved the problem for me!  When i look into the file properties the picture files show as 'Adobe Acrobat Document (jpg)'  whereas a 'normal' Adobe document shows as 'Adobe Acrobat Document (pdf)'   However, I looked into the file extension and the default program (following your link).  There is in fact a file extension Adobe Acrobat (jpg) and the default program setting seems to be Adobe Acrobat.  i changed this to Windows photo viewer and by magic all my picture files are now jpegs again.  Wonderful!  i do not know how this switch occured as i had not done this myself. maybe some update in wondows or adobe made the change as.  But i am back to normal again!  So many thanks for your help - greatly appreciated.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just something that seems to happen on Windows from time to time; nobody knows...

Glad you got it fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Just right click on any jpeg photo and look for "open with"- change from adobe to windows player. Done, all your photos will now open like they use to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Real easy solution I just tried on my PC

Right click on picture PDF

Click on Open with

select default select picture viewer

All file should change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have read discussion however I think my problem is with windows 10. All jpegs converted but to .HEIC.

When I went to Properties; Type of File - Adobe Acrobat Document;  Open With - 1 choice and when clicked on it said "No result found for this filter".  Now what???? Help.

With some more delving and reading I have that iOS 11 uses the .HEIC format. See https://fileinfo.com/extension/heic .

I downloaded the free download CopyTrans for HEIC for Windows and it worked. Now am having trouble with .MOV extensions.

I get audio but no video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem - all my photos have been converted to PDFs. I don't want to get into changing file extensions. This must be a defect in Adobe Reader DC. I guess the only solution is to go back to Microsoft Edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cathym1881909  wrote

This must be a defect in Adobe Reader DC. I guess the only solution is to go back to Microsoft Edge

No. Not a defect. Please see the very first answer in this thread. Your file associations need to be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link that you provided just takes me to MS Help. I asked them and they were much more helpful than Adobe help. I was able to fix the problem. Thanks for steering me in the MS direction for a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a Windows 7 OS machine, you may want to try opening any "apparently converted" jpeg to pdf file by....(1) Right Clicking on the "pdf" file....(2) Click on "Open With"....(3) Then, choose from the App. Software program choices...."Windows Photo Viewer"......This would open the so-called pdf file in "jpeg" mode......You would also note that all your "jpeg" have returned to their "jpeg" file extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: this will not change the file extension!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some software glitch did this, but it is easy to correct it. I had the same problem for several weeks. Here is what I did: I right-clicked on the image thumbnail. Then I clicked on “Open with”. Don’t click on the intended editing or viewing program on this list yet. Just click on “Choose another app”. This will open a dialog box with a list of programs including your favorite. At the bottom of the dialog box check the box “Always use this app to open jpg files”. then hit “OK”. This will do the trick for all you changed jpg files.
Note: Your pdf files WILL NOT BE AFFECTED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for a short and straight forward solution

Unfortunately this issue does arise after downloading Adobe DC Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion worked perfectly on my desktop PC using Windows 10!

Hard to believe that such a nightmarish problem has such a straightforward solution. I thought I faced the prospect of having to manually change the file type for hundreds of affected jpg files. Thanks for sharing the technique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I'm having with this is that I'm not given a different option to open with.  Some of the pictures have been converted to PDF and no longer say jpg or png.  The only option I'm given is to open with Adobe Acrobat Document, there is no "Open with" option.  I can go to properties and change the "open with" on there, however, even if I change the opens with program to Windows Photo Viewer, the file remains a PDF and will not open.  Even if I add .png or .jpg in the file name, nothing will convert it back from a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2023 Nov 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my pics on my Windows 10 did the same thing and I am mad. It automatically did it without asking. Now I have a bunch of PDFs that I have to change back to jpeg or other formats to easily resize. Thanks a lot Adobe for ruining my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines