• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All PDF print as completely black pages. I can read the PDF fine. This is true on any printer.

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All PDF print as completely black pages.  I can read the PDF fine.  This is true on any printer.

A google search shows others have had this problem, but I have not seen a solution posted.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat, without help.  I'm wondering if this is a registry problem.

I saw some post that referred to a stuck switch of print colors as black, but I know nothing about this.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you mention the registry, I assume that you are on Windows.

Are these local or online documents?  If online, on what browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows XP Pro, and printing a PDF file, not from an online browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your prompt responses. But please hold off on this question. Further testing makes it appear that I can print on some printers, so the problem appears to be in the print driver.

I will test further and post again if the problem persists.

I am sorry for giving wrong information!

Again, many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this problem!  On some occasions I can print a PDF, but usually they are all black rectangles.  I have downloaded a new printer driver but the problem persists.  The same PDF can be printed from other computers, so the problem is on my computer.  I have not yet been able to clarify exactly when I can avoid the problem.

I read somewhere that this can be caused by a setting which says "print color as black".  Where is that setting?

Is there any chance that this could be caused by my using Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer as a default browser?  Keep in mind that I am printing a file -- not printing from the web.

Does anyone else have any ideas!  I am at wit's end!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac (all software latest version - Mt. Lion and Safari as web browser).  I see this exact problem but NOT with all PDFs.  As you might not know, PDF creation is built-into all Macs and I do NOT have a problem with any of those, nor has anyone complained to me about those.  Also, Macs have a bulit-in PDF viewer ("Preview") which also can NOT view the file correctly.  If I try to open the file once it has been stored on the desktop, Acrobat gives me an "incorrectly formatted PDF file" error.

My AMEX statement is unprintable and some other stuff that comes from our local school board, and other online sources.  (My suspicion is that these files are not perfectly formatted).

Here was my work-around:

I use FIREFOX browser to retrieve the same PDF and it prints fine.

I, too, would LOVE to know why this is happening because it is annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2014 Feb 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem on a Mac. Thanks for your suggestion about printing from Firefox.  I can print with Firefox and it comes out fine whereas with Safari most of the PDFs on the web come out as black rectangles although they didn't used to.

Saving a usable PDF also brings up issues but I found a fix. When from the print menu I choose "Save as PDF" in either browser, I get a file that I cannot open.  However, in Firefox if I go to the file menu at the top of my display and choose "File / Save Page As" I get a PDF that I can open and print from. It doesn't have the PDF logo so isn't easily identified as a PDF but the name of the file does end in .pdf and it opens and prints fine.  This process does not work in Safari. 

It's obviously a Safari issue.  Hope they fix it. I need to print a lot of PDF's so might have to make Firefox my default browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Chris!

I needed to print a hardcopy of my local tax return from a PDF that was generated by a contractor in Lehigh Valley, PA.  The information I need to store in hardcopy (pages 1, 2, 6 and 7) printed out black from Adobe. Pages 3, 4 and 5 seem to have been created on a different system, Adobe for Mac printed those pages slightly fuzzy rather than black. 

Firefox printed all seven pages and they are very sharp.  It's now my default PDF viewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. does it also happen if you print as an image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens if I print as an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Reader version?

If that happened to me I would check if there is a newer device driver available for my printer.  Other than that I have no idea where to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurred with the free reader, and I have downloaded both of the recent versions, and obtained updates, and it still happens. I then installed a copy of Adobe Acrobat X Pro, and get the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, with certain PDFs, via a Windows PC, the pages print in all black. There is nothing wrong with the PC, driver, printer, software etc. because other PDFs print without any problems. I can't find a solution online, except the instruction to go to File>Print>Advanced>Print as Image. However, it is impossible to choose this option as it is greyed out. No other supposed solution works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not answered...after 6 years??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not have the option to print as image or an advanced printing option button to make any other adjustments but for me simply checking the box to print in black and white only fixed the issue. Luckily, I was not trying to print in color so this fixed my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By chance, did you disable automatic updates on your printer?  I am having this same problem.  It began after I disabled the automatic updates on the printer.  It happens if I use original manufacturer toner cartridges or replacement cartridges.

It does not happen if I print from Preview, only on Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines