Highlighted

Appearance of the letter"l"on a logo does not render correctly on PDF

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a logo created in illustrator that has two lowercase l's. The logo is placed in Indesign and then a PDF is created. The "l" look different than the other letters on the PDF, sometimes thicker or thinner depending on what percentage it is viewed. When you zoom in, they look fine. I tried to make the paths a compound path which was a suggested fix. This worked inconsistently. I also read that you can set your viewing preference in acrobat to have enhanced viewing. This wont work because I do not control how every user views the PDF. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

I wasn't clear, I see. I meant this is characteristic of flattening transparency - so DON'T do that. Don't flatten transparency and don't outline fonts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Appearance of the letter"l"on a logo does not render correctly on PDF

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a logo created in illustrator that has two lowercase l's. The logo is placed in Indesign and then a PDF is created. The "l" look different than the other letters on the PDF, sometimes thicker or thinner depending on what percentage it is viewed. When you zoom in, they look fine. I tried to make the paths a compound path which was a suggested fix. This worked inconsistently. I also read that you can set your viewing preference in acrobat to have enhanced viewing. This wont work because I do not control how every user views the PDF. Any other ideas on how to fix this?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

I wasn't clear, I see. I meant this is characteristic of flattening transparency - so DON'T do that. Don't flatten transparency and don't outline fonts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is characteristic of outlining text rather than keeping fonts, which include "hints" for accurate screen display. Or, flattening transparency before, or as part of, making the PDF. Do neither of these things, if you want it to look nice on screen, would be my advice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice.  I tried that and it actually made it worse. I cannot keep it as a font because it is a logo that was provided as vector art in illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean it was already outlined before you got it? if so, find out the font used to make it, and use the original font in Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look into that. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you try, by the way?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I flattened the transparency when making the PDF out of indesign. It is odd because the logo is used on many pages and in different sizes and some look better than others.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
KHCAP LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wendy, 

Just wondered if you ever came across a fix for this? I have a company logo that has done the exact same thing (same letter!) for years and it's freaking out everyone who views PDF proofs (even though it prints just fine). I know it's just a glitch in Acrobat because if you zoom in it appears fine. Just wondered if you had any luck. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC