Highlighted

can i delete reader from my computer but have all my files as they were before adobe hijacked them into their format?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some unknown reason I downloaded adobe reader to my computer. I find it confusing and unworkable. It converted all my files to adobe. I want them back in their original forms, and adobe off my computer. Is this possible???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

can i delete reader from my computer but have all my files as they were before adobe hijacked them into their format?

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some unknown reason I downloaded adobe reader to my computer. I find it confusing and unworkable. It converted all my files to adobe. I want them back in their original forms, and adobe off my computer. Is this possible???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't convert files.

Info: Adobe is a company.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can, but the solution is probably just to change the file extension back. No files were edited, it's just that you somehow associated them with Reader so they look like they were converted. As mentioned, Reader is not technically capable of converting non-PDF files into PDF or edit them in any way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not good with computers, and I gave it permission to open all my PDFs in adobe. Then, because I edited some of them in adobe (because I couldn't figure out how to do it any other way), are they now irrevocably saved in adobe? So if I dump adobe, will those edits be lost? I had a file on my phone (in "scanner for me") that I kept trying to download to my desktop so I could upload it elsewhere, and it just kept downloading it into adobe (which would not then let me upload it where I wanted to). I know that these are asinine questions, and I tried contacting adobe to ask them to help walk me through it, but they said that type of support is not available, and I should check a forum. Sorry : (

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned before, Adobe is a company and not a specific product. What product are you actually using?

annfuar  wrote

Then, because I edited some of them in adobe (because I couldn't figure out how to do it any other way), are they now irrevocably saved in adobe?

And that is why I ask what product you are using. Acrobat Reader (the focus of this forum) cannot open any file that isn't already a pdf file (even if your file associations are incorrect) and cannot "edit" a pdf file (other than some commenting tools, form filling...etc).

So let's start by telling us exactly which product is opening these files and whether or not the files being opened are actually pdf files already (what is the file name extension?). Then we'll go from there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader, yes they are all PDFs. I meant that I edited them in reader, because I could only find the files in reader - they aren't anywhere else on my computer. Every PDF file on my computer is now in acrobat reader.  I am on a mac using MacOS Mojave version 10.14.2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the issue with PDF files, or files of another type? If the latter, what type?

Also, what's your operating system?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Still not sure what is happening here. Again, Reader only opens pdf files. It will not open or change any other file type. What are you expecting these files to open in and why?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are PDF files I created for work, and used to open them in...?? Word? I don't know. When I downloaded Reader, it converted all of those PDFs into Reader, so I can now only open them in Reader (as far as I know). It seems like I need a 1:1 tech support person to walk me through this. I am really don't know anything about computers, which is why I"m in this mess to begin with. This is why I use a mac - I don't need anything fancy at all - I just make documents for work sporadically, email, do online banking, school portals, etc, and browse the web - that's it. Thanks for trying to help me : )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you install Reader if you don't want to open PDF files in it? Your files are not changed in any way. That only thing that changed is what application is used to open them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it because someone (in an attempt to be helpful) created a letterhead document for me that had typewriter tool. I couldn't figure out how to make it work, and he told me I should open the document in Reader, in order to be able to use it. I didn't have reader so I downloaded it, thinking it would just allow me to functionally use my letterhead - type letters for my business (I'm sole proprietor) to attach and send in email when someone requires a document on my letterhead. I guess I gave it permission to convert all my PDFs to Reader? When I go to select the files they have a little red box next to them, and when I click on them they automatically open in Reader - there doesn't seem to be another option. I think I used to create and open in word(??), but I don't know. When I do "open with" I can't find the right thing to "open with". If I pick "Microsoft Office", then "Word", it says "convert from" and I don't know the answer - none of them look familiar. I can't even figure out what I used to open them with. : (

Like I said, mine is a silly but  very frustrating story. I think I just need someone to come do it for me, and not waste anybody's time on this forum, which is for more technical issues for technical people. Thanks again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader is not a tool for writing text onto a document, and PDF files are not the format to do so, anyway. The person who suggested that shouldn't have. While it is possible to add comments to PDF files, it's certainly not meant to be used as a word-processor. It's a viewer only, hence the name "Reader".

I would say just uninstall Reader and it will most likely revert back to the last application you used to open files.

If that was Preview, though, then I would recommend against continuing to use it. It's known to be a buggy application that corrupts PDF files in various ways. If that's the alternative then you should stick with Reader.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only take a wild guess as to what is happening.

If Reader opens the files, they are pdf files and you probably want Reader to open them. They will not open in Word (but you don't want them to either). So I would just let Reader open them.

If you want to "edit" pdf files and used to be able to do that, there is the possibility that Mac Preview was opening them before you installed reader. That is the default pdf viewer on Mac and can do some editing.

Open Mac Preview, use file>Open to open a pdf file. Is this what you are used to seeing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems to have been Mac Preview I was using. I want to use that and just dump Reader altogether. I had a workable system before I screwed it up by adding Reader to the mix - I am sure it is a great product for lots of people, but my word processing/documents/etc are so simple and minimal, I just don't need it.

Learning new systems is difficult for me, so I just like to stick with what I know works. That is why I had someone else create my letterhead for me, as well as my invoices, which are the PDFs I am referring to when I say that they are all Reader now. Somehow he created them for me in a format where I could just duplicate the master,  fill in the highlighted boxes, and "save as" whatever I wanted the document to be called so I could email the invoice to the proper party and have a copy for myself. I don't know why he didn't do that for me for the letterhead, which is what I thought he was doing.

Again, I am sorry to waste your time with this, and appreciate your patience with my incompetence.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annfuar  wrote

well as my invoices, which are the PDFs I am referring to when I say that they are all Reader now. Somehow he created them for me in a format where I could just duplicate the master, 

Hi Ann,

Adobe does not own PDF technology, and you can open a PDF with several applications. One way is to launch the program, then choose File > Open. When you double-click from the Finder, it opens in the application your Mac has been told to use. In your case, it was Preview and is now Reader. That does not make it a Preview file or a Reader file. It is a PDF.

It sounds, though, as if your invoice is a form. Does it have calculations? Because Preview won’t do those calculations, and Adobe Acrobat Reader will. Try opening your invoice in Preview. Does it work? Then open it in Reader. Does it work?

On a Mac, you can open your invoice in both programs at the same time, but close one before you make changes and save.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC