Highlighted

Can I stop Adobe from opening on file save?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning documents, and the scanner software automatically saves the file as a PDF.  After saving, Adobe (I have Acrobat Reader DC) automatically opens the file - which means I have to close it to continue with my work flow.

Is there some preferences setting that will stop Adobe from automatically opening this file when it gets saved?

As Test Screen Name wrote: Adobe Reader will only open a new PDF when it is invoked. When other applications (like scanning software) invoke the default PDF application, only then will Adobe Reader open such documents.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can I stop Adobe from opening on file save?

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am scanning documents, and the scanner software automatically saves the file as a PDF.  After saving, Adobe (I have Acrobat Reader DC) automatically opens the file - which means I have to close it to continue with my work flow.

Is there some preferences setting that will stop Adobe from automatically opening this file when it gets saved?

As Test Screen Name wrote: Adobe Reader will only open a new PDF when it is invoked. When other applications (like scanning software) invoke the default PDF application, only then will Adobe Reader open such documents.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be a preference setting, but it will be in the scanning software. There is nothing in Reader to make it say "aha! A new PDF! I will open!" It never does that. It only opens because another app tells it to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

There is nothing in Reader to make it say "aha! A new PDF! I will open!"

Not sure about that.  If I save a Word doc as PDF, it also opens up immediately after save.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM sure that Reader does not do this. (That is, Reader doesn't make it happen. Reader opens because another app asks it to).

For instance when using Export PDF from Word 365 there is a View PDF option just below the file name.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the corrrect answer..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your print dialog box, click the Properties button. In the properties, UNCHECK the option that says "View Adobe PDF results.Capture.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC