• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Reader DC - missing DLL

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems it is dependent on Visual C++ Redistributable 2015, which is not on my computer.  The latest one I have is 2012.      In my day, program installation packages were responsible for bringing along everything it needed to the party.  Guess that's not the case anymore, or at least for Adobe.

I get an error that my PC is missing api-ms-win-crt-string-i1-1-0.dll, which I learned is in VC++ 2015.   Yes, I know its 2021 now but so what?   

I really don't want to de-stabilize my old but trusty PC just for a PDF viewer.  You know the domino effect...a single VC++ dll installation can cause all kinds of unexpected surprises and side affects.

My current Reader 9 (circa 2011) is not behaving quite right on some new PDF files so I thought it was time for an upgrade, but maybe not worth the trouble.  Boy, time flies!!!!

Is it possible to get an older version of Reader DC that perhaps doesn't have this dependency?   

TOPICS
Download and install , General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find older version of Reader on Adobe's FTP.

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

I can't tell if one of them won't require a C++ library as well, but I think all of them do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @radzmar!   That should do the trick.  I'll start with 10 and see if that gets me what I need.   I have many C++ runtimes installed, just not as new as 2015.   I just can't risk de-stabilzing my environment.  baby steps...

I was thinking of going with the last 10.x but not familiar with the .msp files.  I see the .msi file is only in 10.0.  So I assume I have to start with the first 10.0.

After I install 10.0, can I then install 10.last with the msp file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!    I tested it on my old Vista laptop.   10.0 didn't have what I needed.   11.0 did but it kept crashing.  11.0.23 was tricky figuring out how to install the .msp but I did and it was fine.    It complained about a missing font, but I'm going to attribute that to the really old OS.  I think 11.0.23 will be much more pleasant to use than DC.   My Vista's newest redistributable was VC++ 2008 and that was fine.   No complaints from Reader about anything.   I'm expecting a smooth installation on my W7.   I probably should have done it first before reporting back...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm up and running fine now with 11.0.23 on W7, but I would still be interested in an Adobe response why the VC++ 2015 redistributable was not packaged with the installation package of Reader DC.    Have the Windows install protocols changed?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines