• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't print PDF with windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Windows 10 today, and now I can't print PDFs. I can select my printer as an option, but when I hit print, nothing happens - no printer icon, no printer queue. I can print other documents, just not PDFs.

TOPICS
Print , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I quit trying to print PDFs from Edge to my HP5740.

I went to the app store, downloaded the free Adobe Reader Touch, and set it as the default program for opening .pdf extensions in my Windows 10 Control Panel (Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Set Associations) by clicking the .pdf line, then the "Change Program" button, selecting Adobe Reader Touch and clicking "OK".

One and two sided pdfs with both text and images print nicely now. You can get the print icon and other commands by either right clicking on the open document or clicking on the three line "menu" icon in the upper left corner of Touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2016 Oct 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader and had the same problem discussed throughout this thread.  Tried EVERY single one of the "fixes" outlined here, and while I do appreciate the feedback very much, none of them worked for me.  Not only could I not print any pdf document, I wasn't allowed to type text in the document, despite the fact it had "fillable" cells.

So I did some searching found a great replacement, and it's free.  It's called Foxit Reader - works GREAT - easy to set up and use,  and you can type in documents and print with absolutely no problem.  They also have paid software with lots more bells and whistles.

Link to free version:

Foxit Reader - Secure PDF Reader | Foxit Software

Hopes this helps,

Ric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company has just refreshed all the laptops and are now using Windows 10. I also found today that I can't print PDFs in duplex. Other apps don't have this problem. Here's what I did to resolve the issue.

Go to Start, Devices, Connected Devices, Devices and Printers.

You should see a page with all the icons of your connected printers.

Right-click the problem printer and select "Printer properties" (not "Properties").

Go to the last Tab "Device Settings".

There should be a heading "Installable options".

My Duplex Unit showed as "Uninstalled" - change this to "Installed. Then try printing.

It worked for me.

I'm using a Brother HL2270-DW B/W printer as well as a Brother MFC-9340CDW multi-function printer. This resolved the problem in both cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS - correction, I couldn't print duplex in any application (Word, Excel, Outlook, web pages) as well as PDFs. However the above fix has worked. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news: It looks like Microsoft has finally given up on trying to make the XPS file format happen. Windows 10 features native support for PDF files, including the ability to 'print' documents straight to PDF. And yes, Mac OS X has had this feature for a while.

To Print to PDF in Windows 10, simply open up your document in a text editor like Microsoft Word and click File > Print. (You can do this from any program that lets you print -- not just Word, and not just with a text document.)

• Under Printer or Destination, choose Print as a PDF.
  • Click Print and a window will open up, prompting you to title your newly created PDF file. Name it and click Save to save your document as a PDF.

In previous versions of Windows, creating a PDF is not quite as straightforward -- though many programs have "Save as PDF" or "Print to PDF" built-in (for example, Google Chrome).

Windows 10's new Print to PDF feature is significant because it's independent of a specific program, which means it will work in any program that you can print from.

Print to PDF is different from Save as PDF because it only translates the information that you'd see on a printed page. This means that any metadata -- such as links and bookmarks -- will not be translated, and will not be visible to whomever is viewing the "printed" PDF file.

-----------

Thanks,

Larson Reever

Head Of Application Software Dept

C&C

California, USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED
I had faced a similar problem on Windows Vista,(applies to Win 7, I haven't check it on win 10)
Acrobat uses the printers as defined in CURRENT USER section of the registry, possibly for reason of backwards compatibility. THe path is CURRENT USER , SOFTWARE, Windows, Windows NT , CurrentVersion. If the information there is wrong this will affect your printing.
THe problem:  I changed the printer that  I was using for years with a new one (HP Deskjet 3835). THe printer selection of all the Acrobat sofware was still on the old selection. Other programs like word we operating correctly. Other symptom that I noticed was that I couldn;t set it as default printer. Repeated installations without any result. I tried the "clean installation" according to the HP official instruction, in a clean account.
I noticed that in the new account printing was operating properly while persisted in my usual account. I tried to change the entries in CurrentVersion but I found that I had not privilege, thou it was administration account.
I changed the privilege on the registry section , Copied Current version from the new user and replaced the one on my account.
It worked!!!
My understanding is that the printer installer couldn;t overwrite this section of the registry. I suspect that this was the result of some overprotective software that I had tried years ago! THe HP troubleshooter didn't provide any information.

Finally the problem was not related to ACrobat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and tried all the solutions offered here to no avail.  So here is what I did.  I deleted Adobe Reader, Touch and Foxit Reader, that did work but only printed one page every 45 seconds.  That was unexceptionable.  After doing some research, here is the solution:

Install Adobe Reader XI

Make it your default reader.

(settings>system>default apps>scroll down to set default by app>highlight Adode Reader XI>set this program as default)

Bingo - all PDF files print beautifully and fast.  Let me know if this works for you.  Sure has for me.

`swamp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of using the PRINT FUNCTION, I used the EXPORT function > CREATE PDF / XPS Document

works beautifully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an active problem - I cant print pdf file on Window 10. I have to open with other app and print it !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We found Windows 10 set Edge as default app for .pdfs..... From Windows Start button:  Click Settings >Apps >Default Apps >Choose default apps by file type.   Scroll down until you find .pdf  and change from Edge to Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the pdf files with the Foxit Phantom PDF option on Win 10 and it will print normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.11.20  Error in Printing from Web to pdf 

I just installed Windows 10.  I have both Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat 8.   I cannot print a readable pdf from a web page.  It creates a page, but the text is numeric and various non-numeric or alpha keys.   I get this error information:   %%[ProductName: Distiller  ]%%, %%[Error:typecheck; OffendingCommand: setlinecap  ]%%; Stack: -save- ; %%[Flusing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%% ;  %%[Warning: PostScript error.  No PDF file produced. ]%%.

Is there a fix for this?    I read through the posts but cannot locate such a fix.   Help.

on another note:  Adobe removed any HTMLs included in the error message so if it does not appear correctly percentage symbol was removed which represented a new sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You of course realize that it has been over 14 years since Acrobat 8 was released. It hasn't been supported or updated by Adobe in over 8 years. Many security issues and bugs have been resolved since then in newer releases and in general Acrobat 8 is not compatible with Windows 10 (and vice versa).

Furthermore, it is at best risky to install both Reader and Acrobat on the same system, regardless of what others may tell you. You're looking for trouble with such parallel installations.

In terms of the error message you are getting, it is indicative of improper PostScript being created from the PDF file you are trying to print to PostScript. Depending on the browser you are using, the PostScript might actually be produced by the browser and not the driver (that is the case with Google Chrome and the new Chrome-based version of Microsoft Edge.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I appreciate your knowledge. I will uninstall Acrobat 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines