Can't save pdf document

Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´ve been working with the same document in Acrobat Reader for a while, using the tools with comments, etc. and I never had any problems saving, but suddenly I can't save. When pressing "save" I see a dialogue box saying "save as", but it's all empty so I can't continue. I have tried "repair installation", there are no updates and the automatic saving never worked.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020
Hi!   I hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble you had.   Please make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC installed: 20.013.20064 Planned update, Nov 03, 2020 Please check for any pending updates from the help menu>select check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates.   If you want to save files on the local drive of your machine. The "Save" option would be activated only if you made some changes to the opened document. You can always use "Ctrl+S...

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble you had.

Please make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC installed: 20.013.20064 Planned update, Nov 03, 2020

Please check for any pending updates from the help menu>select check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates.

If you want to save files on the local drive of your machine. The "Save" option would be activated only if you made some changes to the opened document. You can always use "Ctrl+Shift+S" to launch save as dialog and you can choose your desired location to save the file.

As you have mentioned that the "Save as" windows open as blank, please try the following steps:

• Launch the application and go to Edit menu(Windows)/Acrobat(Mac) > Preference > General.
  • Uncheck the box for "Show online storage when saving files".
  • Click "OK" at the bottom to save the settings.

Now try to save the file and check if it works fine. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue. I have the latest version,I have unchecked show online storage box. None of this works. I can not save a pdf to my laptop, anywhere. This all started Jan 1 ,2021. This is very frustrating. I save 100's of pdfs daily after I edit them for my compnay. What is going on. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, me too. And then it just crashes and I lose the file altogether. 

And then there's Photoshop, which among many other problems also will not let you save anything...

Pretty annoying when you need to use these programs all day long, every day for work eh?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anand,  

I installed the latest version but still untick as you mentioned but still it didnt worked. Any other option how to fix it ?

Thanks.

Lomy

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just yesterday this started happening.  I have the latest version of Acrobat and unchecked the box as instructed above.  When I save, I get a message "An error was encountered when saving the document."  I am using a 2020 MacBook.  I need to save pdf documents every day, please help!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! When i click save, it says 

"The document could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder." 
Then when I try to save-as, it then says "An error was encountered when saving the document."

Please help, I've got many things in the PDF which would be such a waste if I am unable to save it. I've just purchased the premium and so need to close it + re-launch it to activate the software. This is a disappointing first day.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To work around this problem, please perform the following steps in your Adobe Acrobat/Reader software:
  1. Open Adobe Acrobat/Reader.
  2. Click the Edit menu and select Preferences.
  3. Select “Internet” in the left-hand panel of the Preferences window.
  4. Uncheck the “Display PDF in browser” option.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Close Adobe Reader.

[Promotional URL/Link removed by mod]

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your step one by one, it still doesn't work. Sorry.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work, I have the same issue, latest version of Acrobat DC, all boxes mentioned are unticked as stated, and I cannot save or save as document, the save screen is blank

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK did work, but had to restart Acrobat DC twise for the save to stick

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is there no response to the plethora of complaints that the one solution provided doesn't work?  It certainly does not work for me.  This is maddening and unacceptable.  Trying to do kids taxes and I can't save the pdf's at all no matter what I do

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that with the Creative Cloud Subscription model, we don't have the recourse of returning the faulty product. This effectively seems to mean that Adobe doesn't have to bother making certain they release quality bug free products or provide support because they don't have the financial consequences of massive returns hanging over their heads. I have been struggling with all sorts of problems with both Photoshop and Acrobat for over four months now. FOUR MONTHS I have been paying for products that are essentialy unreliable and only sporadically useable. It has cost me both time and money, but hey, I'm not a customer, I'm essentially just a hostage, so who cares right? 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @denisew35721418 & @Cindy5ECC 

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble you had.

Would you mind sharing more details about the issue you are experiencing while opening the PDF files in Acrobat or the freeware Adobe Reader app?

Are you getting any error message while saving the PDF files? Are you experiencing this with one specific PDF file or is it with all the PDF files?

Are you on a Mac or Windows machine and what is the version? What is the current version of the Acrobat/Reader app installed? To identify, please refer to this article: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

If you are getting any error messages, kindly share possible screenshots. We highly appreciate your cooperation and patience on this.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can open pdfs, and I can fill them in.  When I save them, I can see my typed text in the finder preview but when I open the documents they are empty with none on my changes.  I have a mac and it has the current updates.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar problem. I can fill in the information, I can save it, but when I open it from my local drive it still has all the fillable boxes open, but I can see what I filled in. I've tried all the fixes mentioned here. Maybe I need to reinstall Acrobat.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create a PDF with

Screenshot 2021-01-30 152749.png

But when it comes to saving the pdf to my desktop, a file is not created.
Tried all the suggestions, I had the same issue last year and I need to create a series of PDF files and once again unable to do so.

If I can not find a solution I will be cancelling all of my Adobe subsciptions 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

My OS is Big Sur (up to date).

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.013.20074.

As of two days ago, Acrobat has randomnly decided to save documents again (without my doing anything) but it now crashes every hour and randomnly stops recognizing fonts that it has recognized before and utterly destroys the format of my documents by replacing the fonts with alternatives. 

Some of the things that seem to make it crash include:

1) Toggling between programs (both other adobe programs like photoshop and other programs like pages.)

2) Inserting text

3)Toggling between Acrobat tabs / Acrobat documents.

4) Moving a text box

5) Organizing pages

Again, I have done nothing between the time when I couldn't save documents and this current group of problems.

Also, although the latest udate of photoshop solved most of the problems I was having with it, the fix lasted only a day and photoshop is also regularly crashing as well.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnandSri

The same problem here as well. All updates made and all advice checked, but still have an empty window when trying to save a document. Pretty annoying that a) your products do not work properly, and b) support is taking more than 8 days to be responsible. Hope we can find a solution for all somewhen soon.

Regards,

Tomas

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've met this unsaved problem from January till now. I've uninstalled my PDF and reinstalled it several times, followed the above methods each by each, all doesn't work. I'm sure Anand and other Tech experts are working on these issues on hands. Keep a close eye on it, waiting for the solutions to come out soon.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues with Adobe Reader. I fill out a form and can save it just fine, then when I go to Sign and Fill form and add my signature I cannot complete the process. When I click next I get an error box saying I need to save  as copy however when I click save copy it does nothing.  The same issue occurs if I try to save it normally and if I close the PDF the signature is gone.

WORK AROUND: only one I have found is to email a link to myself through the Adobe button then download the PDF from the cloud link. This linked filed does have info and signature from my "unsaved PDF" 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They couldnt make this more diffecult if they tried... this should be disabled by default

Edit/Preferences/Security(Enhanced)/Uncheck Enable Protected Mode at Startup

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

is there a solution for the save and save as issue?

I have tried everything and dstill get a blank box when I try to save or save as.

Thanks

Dan

Dan5CEC_0-1615866538304.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and to add running on a mac Catalina V10.15.7

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I just get a blank box as per screenshot when I try to save.  I've tried unchecking the "show online storage" boxes but it makes no difference. I have the most uptodate version. 

Using Windows 10 Pro, 20H2

catheriner75322882_0-1617612220825.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines