• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coma are replaced with a perod

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a survey program (Lime Survey) and it gives me the possibility to download my statistics reuls in a PDF. It works all fine. However, the survey is in French and when I look at the PDF created, the coma for percentage does not show. They show has a period. In French numbers with decimal should be display with a coma: 12,5% instead of 12.5%.  Does anyone has the same problem? Is there a solution?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason lies either in the application that created the PDF or that created the statistics to be converted into PDF. Adobe Reader will display just the result as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. This is what I though, however, when I download the results to Excel, comas are displayed correctly. That's why I was wondering if ti was something with Adobe that I could modified. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does it matter? Both look like a decimal separator for me. In different regions different separators are used by in modern world both are recognised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It matters a lot, since you want to be sure whether "7,123" is "seven-thousand, one-hundred and twenty-three", or "seven, and one-hundred twenty-three thousandths". There's a big difference between the two...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was wondering how long it would take before someone called them out.

6 hours is a bit longer than my estimated 4 hours, but hey I was close.

To be honest, I don't think I fully realized until seeing this post that the mark is a legit comma like we use in the English language. I have only seen it written by hand before now, so I guess I thought it was a special form of punctuation, such as the upside-down exclamation/question marks that are placed at the beginning of some sentences in Spanish.

I would say this is very important. I learned something new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically it does, in practice I never saw using "," to count 10^3. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know where you live, but in large parts of the world it's common practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excel uses the regional settings of your computer to display numbers. Reader does not do that. It displays values exactly as the author of the form set them to display, regardless of the system settings. However, the underlying numbers in a PDF will always follow the pattern of no thousands-separator, a period as the decimal separator, and a hyphen before the number to indicate a negative value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the main language set for your Acrobat Reader? This may be a simple language translation issue if your pdfs are set to automatically translate to English

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines