• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl + C not working in Reader

New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly can't copy text using Ctrl + C from Adobe Reader now. This has always worked well but now I am forced to right click to be able to copy. Affecting documents that aren't secured. Help please.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Samc,

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

As mentioned, you have not been able to copy any text using the keyword shortcut Ctrl+C but its working with right click and copy. Have you applied any changes recently? Like installing the Reader update or windows update?

• Would you mind sharing the exact version of Adobe Reader you are working on? Open Reader>Help>about Adobe Reader.

https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

• For testing, You may check with a different PDF, it could be a possibility that its an document specific issue.
  • If you have got the latest version 2019.012.20034 already installed, then as a workaround try Adobe Reader>Edit>Preferences>Security (Enhanced)>disable "Protected View">Ok

Note: Changing the above security settings could pose security risks. We suggest you to turn it back On once you are done with testing.

Let us know the more details.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Akanchha

I am running the current version, but turning off protected view has fixed the problem. Do you know whether a fix will be rolled out for this in the future?

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sam for sharing the update with us. Its good to hear that turning protected view off has fixed the problem. But this is just a workaround and we never recommend to keep it off for forever.

I have passed this to engineering, lets wait for their inputs. Then only we'll be able to say whether a fix will be rolled out or the same version is good to go.

Meanwhile, you may check this article and try the further suggestion for  Protected Mode troubleshooting | Adobe Reader

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now 2023 and this problems still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same issue (near the end of June 2023) too.  😞

Tested on multiple .pdfs created from/by multiple sources and both my brand new Windows 11 Pro PC and my wife's using the latest version of Acrobat - Standard (monthly subscription) and neither my wife or I can use cntrl + c command to copy text in any form or field inside of Acrobat.  If we right-click and select "copy" this works just fine (other than it's way slower).  Please correct the cntrl + c command in Acrobat.

If we open the same files using our older Windows 7 PC's and Acrobat Reader free we can use the ctrl + c command without any issues whatsoever.

Both Acrobat and Windows have all updates available to-date and the problem still persists.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  I just finished reading about Acrobat's "Protected Mode", which seemed to be enabled by default.  I like the idea of protected mode a lot (being a small business owner, the more security we can get, the better) so I was VERY hesitant to turn it off.  That said, disabling Protected Mode (as AkanchhaS linked the simple directions to do above), did fix the can't copy using the cntrl + c command issue.

Adobe feedback:  PLEASE find a way to allow Protected Mode without disabling cntrl + c.  All of our office keyboards have the cntrl and c keys printing nearly wiped completely off of the keyboard buttons from high usage.  This is one of the most (if not probably the most) common keyboard shortcuts most people use (and are trained through school to use).
Also, if you find a way to correct this issue, please made users aware so they can go back into their Acrobat settings and re-enable Protected Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still a problem in 2024. How has this not been fixed yet? Adobe has known about this for half a decade now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Sam,

I am sorry for the trouble you had, are you experiencing this issue with all the PDF file or is it specific to one PDF through which you are not able to copy the content?

Are you trying to access the PDF file from a network/shared drive or is it stored locally?

If it is stored on a network or shared drive, then whitelist the path in Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>Click on Add file and then Add folder Path and add the location and the file>Click OK, restart the application and the computer and try copying any content using Ctrl + C.

If it is specific to one PDF file, then is it possible to share the file with us so that we can try to replicate this at our end? Share the file through private message only How Do I Send  Private Message | Adobe Community

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't copy and paste text boxes with ctrl c ctrl v either, even though I was able to a few months ago. (I am able to copy text within a text box and paste it into a new text box I create, but I can't copy and paste the whole text box.) I am using Adobe Reader version 2019.012.20040. Please help! Thanks very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of text boxes? Form fields? Comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comments. I have a 40-page guide and I am trying to paste a text box at the top of each page. I have done this before and it is quick if I am just strolling and ctrl-ving! But to have to create a new text box on each page and then paste in the text takes longer. Not a huge deal but I used to be able to do it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 and this problem still exists?
Adobe, what on earth is his? This seriously breaks the software for Desktop users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines