• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DC Reader only run as a background process

New Here ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double-click a PDF file (or open it any other way), the blue-ring appears for a few seconds, but the file's window does not appear on the screen. Task Manager does not list it as an open application but show it as a Background Processes. If I attempt multiple times, multiple Adobe Acrobat processes appear in the Background Processes list, but no window appears. How do I overcome it? I am running windows 10 pro 32 bits.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Sorry for the delay in response.

1- Try locating Reader's shortcut on the desktop>right-click>Properties.

2- Compatibility tab>check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 7 from the drop-down options

3- Click Apply>OK and try opening pdf file again.

If that doesn't work, try removing Reader using Cleaner tool which you can download from here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot the machine.

Install Reader DC from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Keep us posted with the results.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TanTech , are you still experiencing the same issue or managed to make it work?

Uninstalling application using cleaner tool and reinstalling through the link shared above, should help. If it still causes the same issue, then create a test user profile with full admin rights and install Reader in that.

Thanks,

Aknachha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aknachha,

All of the steps given by Shivam did not make any difference to the problem at all.

The steps that you have given did not make any difference either.

Since my post in April 2018, and after some Windows updates and/or Adobe updates, the problem mostly went away.  However, there are rare occasions when it still happens, but I haven't done enough serious investigation to find out exactly what the circumstances are.  It has something to do with having Reader already open and displaying a PDF, when attempting to open another PDF by double-clicking on it in Explorer, it doesn't open up a Reader window to display that PDF, but instead adds a double entry of Reader in the Background Processes list.  If you kill either process, they both close.  Then if you close Reader, and then double-click the desired PDF, Reader opens normally!  It's weird.

The Original Post should be set to "UNANSWERED".

Best regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the cleaner tool fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines