• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to disable automatic updates in the Adobe Reader DC? It's not under preferences where it used to be.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is set up for continuous updating.

You can modify those settings via the Adobe Customization Wizard DC or the Windows Registry

For the Windows Registry setting look here:  Windows Updates

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate this change to Adobe's operation. Not only do I have no control over changes to my computer, but I also have to remove all the annoying new icons that Adobe puts on my desktop. Someday soon, Adobe will do a disastrous update, like Microsoft does on occasion, which requires all sorts of retracing and uninstalling. It's inevitable. This is one more effect of being a monopoly: You can do anything you want, and customers have no choice ... until the inevitable disaster.

With Windows Updates at least I can read the weekly warnings from CNET before I install, but with Adobe there's no such safety net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time when this kind of things happen, I have to spend hours to look for solution. My painting/animation artworks counted by hours. Whenever update shows up, I have to stop my work-flow thought... very annoying and wasting time. Looking up solution also takes time. I looked up through menu, can't find the options. I looked up internet, and have to deal with the English reading (I am not a native speaker). Adobe's application are supposed to help people work faster. aren't they?

Please stop doing this kind of thing, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to windows update as suggested, I found HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\(product name)\(version)\FeatureLockdown

but there were NO values set for Name, Type, nor Data. So what do I do next, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how to change the automatic updates setting- Windows Updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 computer with a metered Internet connection : 200 Mb downloaded for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC 2015.017.20053 update.

My ISP is very happy with Adobe product´s update policy (not me ).

Why Adobe updates are not syncronized with Windows 10 updates configuration ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured out a simple solution to this problem. Follow these steps:

1. Uninstall Abobe version xx whatever it is.

2. Look for foxit reader version 4.xx. Under 10 mb and no install required.

3. Extract it and place it on your desktop or wherever you want.

4. Right click a pdf file and select open with the file you just placed. Also check the 'always use this program with this filetype' box.

5. When foxit asks would you like to set as default select no and don't ask again.

6. Now don't delete or move that foxit file and enjoy your simple, easy to use, non-upgrading pdf reader!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the best option.

Get rid Adobe crap, always updating, touching the balls 24/7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like my username says, goodbye Adooooooooooooooobbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! After spending about 10 min only to find out I cannot disable updates, on a PDF reader, of which, I don't remember the last time I used a PDF reader to do anything but simply view a PDF file. Why oh why have I been using Adobe all this time for that, I do not know. But goodbye. Can't disable auto updates just proves they've succeeded in gaining a person's trust so they can then later slipstream in "anonymous" information gathering to make this world even more ridiculous. WANNA TAKE A SURVEY?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for providing alternatives to Adobe.  I spend most of my time traveling overseas and often to remote locations where internet is very slow and/or expensive.  The last thing I need is for my computer to be taken over by Adobe with their updates when I need to send or receive an important email.  Bye-bye Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2017 Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate this.

I actually uninstalled Dc and reinstalled the previous version. Unfortunately Adobe automatically installed DC version again by itself!

Very annoying and frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can easily be done this way:

-Control Panel

-All Control Panel items

-Admin Tools

-Services

-Select Adobe Updater

- Select STOP under service Status

-Startup type: Disabled

The 12/2018 update caused many issues with FDF files...

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I know this thread is several years old, but I've created a registry script to disable updates for Adobe Reader & Acrobat 10/XI/2015/2017/DC.

Here's a link to the zip file - just extract it and run the included registry fix:

http://public.ashersolutions.net/DisableAdobeUpdates

If this helped you, let me know!

Thanks,

Brady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOR MAC: Did you ever find a fix to this? I have been trying everything I can find, but I can't disable that pesky updater from rearing its ugly head and interrupting zoom meetings! Adobe Acrobat Pro Dc 2018. I'm on a mac 10.13.6. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find a way to disable updates.  We shouldn't have to delve into the registry.   Adobe products seem to slow my system down.   I finally just uninstalled it.   Adobe should be making things easier and more memory effiicient not bogging users down with endless updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently saw a message when I was about to update Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I said that it would Uninstall Perpectual Licsence versions of Adobe software. I don't remember if it was all programs or just Adobe Acroabat products. I uninstalled Acrobat Reader DC on my Windows 10 computer. 

Now I will uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader on all of my computers including this Apple MacBook Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I said that it would..." SHB "It said that it would..."

Sorry for the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines