• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable automatic updates in Adobe Reader DC?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to disable automatic updates in the Adobe Reader DC? It's not under preferences where it used to be.

TOPICS
Download and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is set up for continuous updating.

You can modify those settings via the Adobe Customization Wizard DC or the Windows Registry

For the Windows Registry setting look here:  Windows Updates

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can modify those settings via the Adobe Customization Wizard DC or the Windows Registry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please @ the option in the program self (like in the last version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the logic behind this decision?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an academic environment, the inability to disable updates is unacceptable.  We have numerous computers that we intentionally never update.  For example, all student computers never update; they are frozen with a program called DeepFreeze.

And even for our employee machines, no users have admin rights, so they cannot update the program themselves.

In addition, registry hacks are an unacceptable alternative to us.  If something goes wrong, we have to explain to our CIO that we used a registry hack, and that is not going to go over well.

For now, we are going to hold off upgrading to the DC version until Adobe implements an official way to disable updates.  If they refuse to implement an official method in the coming months, we'll just start using the browsers' built-in PDF readers and not install Adobe Reader at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn these updates OFF by simply customizing your deployment package with the Adobe Customization Wizard DC (Adobe - Acrobat : For Windows : Adobe Customization Wizard DC).  This way you have more control over what you users have and their default configuration.

Also remember that if you are deploying this within an organization (company, school, enterprise ) you need to sign the Reader Distribution License Agreement:  Adobe - Adobe Runtimes / Reader Distribution License Agreement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know. I have wasted too much time messing with this. Every time I open Adobe it errors. I just download the Wizard and apparently am too stupid to understand how to run it. Even though I also opened a web page that is supposed to show me step by step how to get the job done. All I wanted to do was turn off the automatic updates or at least make it ask me if it could. I am so sick and tired of my internet getting bogged down and thinking I am being hacked or just hating my ISP for providing slow service. I am going to uninstall Adobe Reader DC. I haven't been able to use it ever since it was given to me in an upgrade a few years ago. Or at least it seems to be that long ago. I have a crappy free pdf reader that at least runs. You guys can go to ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also given up. Being more advanced PC user I've even done a regsty edit and removed EVERYTHING realated toe adobe.... it dit NOT help. I've tried even with a virtual pc to se if a clean isntalation will help me but no success. It seems on certain combination of hardware and software we as end users are ....  and I've tried even email support. I stared using FOXIT reader and NO more problems.

Adobe product is inflated and over rated.

Will never use it again in my life

good riddens for other better quality product on the market and we as users must stop use what is being stuffed down our throats.

BYE BYE adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason Freeman wrote:

... we'll just start using the browsers' built-in PDF readers and not install Adobe Reader at all.

That is a very poor replacement for Adobe Reader; many modern PDF features are not handled by these browser-owned PDF viewers.

If you are unhappy with the Reader DC update policy, install Reader XI and disable updates.  But make sure that your IT staff installs security updates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader DC is a very poor replacement for Adobe Reader 11... I would strongly suggest Adobe rethink what they've done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2015 Apr 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if the GUI for Reader DC were kept the same as in previous Reader versions, the reaction would have been much less strong.  New design/layout/interface always causes an outcry.

Bugs are a different matter; they can be reported at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I think if the GUI for Reader DC were kept the same as in previous Reader versions, the reaction would have been much less strong."

Yes... and it also would have been very helpful had it not been so buggy, not been so obviously geared toward spending way too much time gathering the user's info (aka spyware), not had boxes present which can't even be closed, not had features missing like being able to control whether or not you update automatically... etc etc etc., yes but other than all that it's great (SARCASM)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, what is wrong with you guys!?!

Stop patronizing the people and let us decide about if, when, why, we want to update - without any hassle (Registry,yeah right, thanks a lot!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is going backwards for sure.  The new GUI stinks.  It is un-intuitive and I'm constantly searching for tools.  I can't believe they decided to do away with the toolbars.  Everything looks blurry and the icons appear to have been created using crayons.  They've invaded Outlook with Send & Share, They're forcing extra steps to save something.  And the response is to configure a roll-out package?  Ummm  - Creative Cloud (the SLOWEST software in the land) handles deploying the software, not me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to get rid of DC. But where can I find a copy of XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should rethink their (bad) decision.

They might be able to twist the arms of poor regular users and force automated updates on them.

But for any professional environment, the autoupdates are unacceptable!

1. It goes against policies (and makes the work of system administrators more complicated).

2. It screws up individual's environment and work process (I don't want it updating when I have my projects open in a particular state, and taking my laptop hostage by making the adobe reader unavailable until I reboot).

3. I don't want it to use my computer's resources at the time when they might be critical: the bandwidth to download the updates, the CPU when I am doing something time critical, etc.

I've done it before with other software: when I cannot control/disable program's autoupdate, it gets removed from the computer. Thankfully, there are now alternatives: FoxIt, PDF-Xchange, Sumatra, Preview (Mac), to name a few.

Adobe, I hope you are listening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This constant nagging to install a monthly paid update to Acrobat DC is just as annoying to a poor individual user as it is to corporate users. I can find no way to disable it on my Mac. I am content to use my old version of Acrobat that came with Creative Suite 6 rather than pay Adobe $12-15 a month for the new version. I don't want to uninstall that old version of Acrobat just to stop the nagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen a prompt to update Adobe Reader to Adobe Acrobat; can you post a screenshot of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2015 Oct 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a prompt to update Acrobat Pro from CS6 to the new AcrobatDC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phew just installed Foxit and rid myself of this parasitic viral filth that it Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, may any person give me more information about where to find Adobe Customization Wizard DC??
The Windows Updates page you provided is too hard for me.
Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"

Why do big companies like yours ALWAYS do this extremely annoying auto-this auto-that bs and take more and more control out of the user's hands? Microsoft is exactly the same with programs like Word. Plain common sense would say that there should be a simple option in Preferences that allows the user to turn auto updates on or off instead of having to download another application to enable it.

If autoupdating is off then just make the user aware that Adobe won't provide tech support to older versions.

The link you provided for the Customization Wizard DC doesn't even work!

Of course  just like all the other complains from users about these kinds of problems, it's completely inevitable that you'll either ignore this one or just copy and paste a preprepared templated "We value all feedback from customers, etc" response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more you tighten your grip ADOBE, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

I totally agree with the justified calls of descent in this and other threads.
Adobe has been very condescending to its end users at least since i started Graphic design 18 years ago.

They view their product as being out on loan to the 'customer' and now they are forcefully implementing that corporate attitude in the code and functionality of their products.  It is only going to get worse I'm afraid.  It must be so inconvenient having to cater for customers needs as part of ones corporate mission statement.

Thanks to everyone who has put in time and effort to Question Adobe and also share work-arounds.

Ironically,

ADOBEs heavy-handed attitude is driving honest paying customers to darker corners of the internet where they are finding easier solutions than manually hacking their own registrys to make their software work without intrusion and the way they need it to.

ADOBE are only pouring gasoline on the flames of SW piracy.

Miss Fisher's final word:   The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of halfass bullshit answer is that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bulls***. This used to be a good , user easy program.

Adobe said screw the regular user.

This pos is endlessly updating.

The added software I must now download to do something that used to be an option in the menu for years stupid.

You user base is complaining and the answer is deal with it.

Lots of dead tech companies that were on top and then said screw the consumers want we are going to force our wants on them.

Kiss my as Adobe its a free market system and I'm taking my economic vote to a competitor you control frwak egomaniacs.

I look forward to your eventual demise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines