• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable file-lock on Adobe Reader DC (Windows 10)?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLDR: I need to view and create annotations without blocking Dropbox or other third-party software from changing the PDF.

Under Windows, when Adobe Reader DC opens a file, it reserves exclusive write-access.

This is problematic in several ways:

• LaTeX documents cannot be recompiled while viewed in Adobe Reader DC
  • It makes Adobe Reaser DC unsuitable for viewing work-in-progress plots saved as PDFs for use in pdfLaTeX.
  • Dropbox will be unable to synchronize changes made on mobile while the document is opened (e.g. annotations created on an iPad).

Is it possible to prevent Adobe Reader DC from locking files and, ideally, to make it reload the file automatically if it was changed on disc? The latter would be required to avoid accidentially overwriting a file synced from another device with a previous state.

It most recently observed the problem with Adobe Reader DC 17.009.20044, but has existed already when I first used LaTeX almost 10 years ago.

The most common workaround is using SumatraPDF for use with LaTeX or other software that needs to overwrite a PDF frequently. 

However, I specifically need the ability for third-party software (Dropbox) to change a file, which I have (intentionally or not) left open after writing or viewing annotations. SumatraPDF doesn't allow creating annotations and has very limited support for viewing them (e.g. no "list of annotations" view). PDF-Xchange on the other hand also blocks the file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Sorry, but what you are requesting is a fundamental conflict between integrity and your perceived usability needs.

Acrobat / Reader actually reads and writes from and to PDF files that it has open. Such files may be many gigabytes in size and thus cannot be reasonably kept all in memory at one time. Thus, it must lock the file to prevent changes or deletions by other processes while it has it open. (Or alternatively it would need to make its own full temporary copy of the file every time it opens

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but what you are requesting is a fundamental conflict between integrity and your perceived usability needs.

Acrobat / Reader actually reads and writes from and to PDF files that it has open. Such files may be many gigabytes in size and thus cannot be reasonably kept all in memory at one time. Thus, it must lock the file to prevent changes or deletions by other processes while it has it open. (Or alternatively it would need to make its own full temporary copy of the file every time it opens a PDF file, a time and space-wasting operation.) Quite honestly, we don't see this as a “problem” nor have any other significant number of our users. Actually, it Acrobat / Reader did allow what you are asking for, many users would consider it a major bug!!

I suspect that “SumatraPDF” is either reading the entire PDF file into memory (limiting its ability to deal with very large PDF files) and then closing the file or making a temporary copy, neither of which are viable for Adobe to do for either Reader or Acrobat.

Perhaps a better solution is to fix LaTeX or its parameterization to prompt for a new file name if it finds the current file is locked or possibly have LaTeX create new folders for each new generation of PDF files it generates which you can copy over when you are done mucking with the previous generation's file.

In any case, Acrobat / Reader will not be changed to allow PDF file modifications or deletions by other processes while Acrobat / Reader has the file open.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm agree with HooksIT, it is a great thing one can just ask staff and promptly receive the answer.

Thank you for pointing out to SumatraPDF, that is exactly what I need to work with TeX, it does not lock the file and it does make auto-refresh on update. I hope this thread will be kept here for other users in order to find it (personally I came here from the search engine results page).

However, I deeply disagree with the point of Dov. What they simply make is breaking other utilities by holding lock on a file. Moreover, they conduct nonconsistent behaviour for the product, because they can't lock these files on Linux and OS X. They could just load the file into the memory for small files and leave it as is for big ones (or make a temporary copy).

As the last point I would like to say that suggestion to fix TeX is pretty funny. Why on earth they should make workaround for every broken application (I hope, Adobe Reader is the only one). It is the Reader, why would it lock something? By the way in Microsoft Word they have so called "editing mode". May be Adobe can borrow some ideas from there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader absolutely can and should be made to work the way users are requesting. It is not necessary to prevent other programs from modifying the file, only detect when it occurs. The text editor I use, for example, can operate on very large text files without keeping the entire file in memory. If another program modifies the file, the text editor detects it and offers to reload the current version.

Our prepress department drops artwork in a folder where it is picked up by a script and entered into our ERP system. Sometimes older versions of a PDF need to be overwritten with newer versions. Several times a day, the script is unable to overwrite a file because someone is viewing it in Adobe Reader. Then I get an email and have to go find them and tell them to close it. If Reader will not be fixed, then I have no choice but to dump it enterprise wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

``perceived usability needs''? You have got to be kidding me. What an arrogant response.

Asking for the ability to disable the incredibly annoying file locking feature seems to be a reasonable request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just allowed an "update" on Adobe, ignorantly, I now find that my files have been swiped into their reader system, and if I want them back into Word Docx I have to PAY! this is a cheat and I am horrified. I want it undone, I want to de-activate this Adobe Reader DC. I have even found it has taken files I made some time ago. How can I fix it? 

I have already figured how to STOP it from taking scanned-in documents (click on the box offering app extensions), and I have trashed 8 documents I just made, and will now have to re do. THis update is a nasty sneaky thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kann den Text nicht verstehen. Ich will einfach per Vorkasse bezahlen, ist das nicht möglich? Rita Singe 

Von meinem Huawei-Tablet gesendet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah, this is one of the most tone deaf and clueless responses you will find. There are plenty of pdf viewers that are capable of this feature. I would highly recommend a change in your approach to the deficits of reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many reasons a user would want to allow read-only access to an open PDF.  Adobe could let the user decide if it is worth the delay to write a temp file.  More importantly, I frequently experience Acrobat maintaining the file lock after the file is closed, and even after Acrobat DC is closed. The only fix I have found is to reboot the workstation.  Adobe should be a leader in enabling smooth workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to former protests to your answer, Dov, read the following:
"Quite honestly, we don't see this as a “problem” nor have any other significant number of our users"
This sentence is only true, because anyone that needs the described feature of OP is already using another PDF tool and not Acrobat. AFAIK Adobe Acrobat is the only PDF Tool that accesses PDF files exclusively. Any other tool doesn't need Acrobats file mechanism to "magically"work. And this leads to my final conclusion: Once again, Adobe is reposing on its leading position in the software market and, simply spoken, not willing to change anything in their tools to fit the needs of a signifcant number of users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally I have had enough of Acrobat locking folders after I have finished using it

Workflow is to move a set of folders into a different location once work is complete

Acrobat and Reader should always unlock folders when the user is finished editing - this is an example of extemely poor/lazy programming, or possibly an attempt to keep users locked into using over-priced bloatware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh what an ignorant response. The first step to improving your product is to acknowledge that your users want different behavior. I'm switching my PDF reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what a joke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I edit a file in adobe and go to save It ...... it will not overwrite the file and save the changes I just made to it

I have to save it under a different name.... and now I have 2 files and have to spend time to verify which is the most current

then I cant delete or rename the old one because your recent files list has it "open" so I have to clear recent files

close adobe and close all explorer windows then open explorer and then delete the old one and rename the new one again to the original file name as we have specific file naming conventions

very counter productive

all because of your locking files idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just like to add that Klaus.at is not alone with this need Dov Isaacs

Here is another example, one that we are experiencing and really annoys us. One of our designers that use Illustrator are working in PDF-files so that others can view her work using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. There are several colleges that need to check on her designs from time to time. When they open a file that she already has open in Illustrator she can no longer save her changes and is therefore interrupted in her work.

So, other people are allowed to open her files (that are already opened for editing by her) with a software (made by Adobe) that is meant for viewing files. So far so good! But Adobe Reader will also lock the file so she can't continue her work. That's not good.

Receiving a cached copy for our viewing pleasure when we open a PDF with a PDF reader can be considered rather intuitive, as in "expected behavior before reading the manual". Intuitive behavior is a very important factor when designing good software.

The argument about "space waste" cannot be relevant in the most scenarios (99% of the cases?) but more of a special case, right? And special cases should not be allowed to dictate and decrease the usability of the more common case if it can be avoided.

Here is a crude and intentionally unpolished suggestion, for brainstorming:

When opening a file with Adobe Reader DC, if the file is smaller than "computer RAM-size divided by 2", copy the file to cache in the background while the file is opened. Once the copy is completed, release the lock on the file.

And don't tell me you have to write to the file continuously while having it open in Adobe Reader for viewing in ways that can't be done without locking the file for everyone else. Why then can a file be opened by Adobe Reader when Adobe Illustrator already has that file opened for active editing? Does Adobe Reader ignore the lock Illustrator has and write anyway. Doesn't seem like a good thing.

Ok. But what if we want to actively change the file with the software that's meant to read files, even though it's already opened by another software for editing?

Then Adobe Reader DC can try to reapply the lock as soon as a EDIT-function is requested. If someone else is already editing the file, or in the process of opening it, a lock should exist that correctly prevents the second editor from changing the file.

I know I don't have all the answers here, but come on. With the competence you have I have no doubt in my mind that you can solve this in a beautiful way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alfred,

Thanks for your suggestions.

One of the biggest mistakes we made at Adobe was making believe that PDF was the native file format of Adobe Illustrator. It is NOT. The fact is that although saving an Illustrator file as a .AI file (with the PDF compatibility option) or as a .PDF file (with the Illustrator editability option) produces a PDF file that can be opened in Adobe Reader or Acrobat, the actual Illustrator artwork is stored as “private data” within the file. Conceivably, if one opens such a PDF file in Reader or Acrobat and uses any of the Reader or Acrobat editing features, the PDF content and the Illustrator content can differ from that point on! And that's dangerous. When tracking down “issues” that our customers have with PDF files, very often the problems have to do with misconceptions about whether Illustrator is a general purpose editor of PDF files as well as synchronization issues between the PDF and the actual Illustrator content.

Generally, I advise our customers using Adobe Illustrator to maintain the artwork in .AI files without PDF compatibility and that for purposes of production (viewing, printing, proofing, etc.), they “save as copy” in PDF format using the PDF/X-4 settings and not enabling the “editability” feature. Yes, there are two separate files, but it eliminates confusion, synchronization issues, etc. And it works reliably!

By the way, today's operating systems (both Windows and MacOS) use virtual memory. Thus, calculations based on “RAM-size divided by 2” is a very obsolete concept that is irrelevant on today's systems.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov!

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your feedback, and I consider it a privilege to be allowed to communicate with an Adobe employee that cares to listen to their customers.

My dream scenario here would be if you chose to listen to this customer suggestion with an open heart and talked to the developers about it, so I wont give up yet and I'll try to remain constructive and precise. It is after all our common goal to have Adobe make software so good that customers are blown away by the possibilities, the quality and the attention to detail.

You say that one of Adobes biggest mistake was to convey the idea that PDF is the native format for Illustrator, the reason being that editing a PDF file with both Illustrator and e.g. Acrobat Reader DC (at different points in time) can introduce a malfunctioning relationship between the Illustrator content and PDF content within the file.

Could it be true that the mistake here was not that Adobe introduced a fantastic possibility for their users, but instead that Adobe has not yet made sure this possibility is implemented in a good way? The mistake being that they are continuously allowing their users to suffer from a job they have not yet completed.

And could not a small but important step towards repairing that mistake be to make sure that Reader DC can (it could be optional through a setting in the Reader software) implement a Read Only approach to PDF files that are already opened by another user in Illustrator, thereby enabling the Illustrator user to continue saving their work at the same time securing the integrity of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about files being locked after Adobe Acrobat "pro" has been closed ?

Little tutorial if you ever want to use Adobe Acrobat "pro" AND be able to rename a folder containing a PDF or renaming a PDF (Yes I know, it's a lot, but I mean, we're going to mars so maybe we can rename a file).

1 - Disable Windows visualization panel. I know you like that feature you have to stop using this, It could by mistake launch an instance of Adobe Acrobat backround process and lock your computer.

2 - If you don't know how to handle task manager : never open a document with Adobe Acrobat "pro" if you want to rename it later (this is why it's acrobat "PRO", regular users can't handle this feature).

3.a. One time solution :
if you opened the file with Adobe Acrobat "pro" and you want to manipulate your file you must : 
- close that specific document and every document opened with acrobat pro (quit acrobat)

- open task manager

- kill any Adobe AcroCEF running process

- close any Adobe Collaboration Sync running process (between 2 to 10 generally)

- try to do what you wanted to do : delete, rename,  cut and paste, rename parent folder with your file.

- if it's still not working kill any other Adobe currently running process (between 10 and 20)

3.b. Temporary solution
Try to follow this tutorial which seems for the moment to enable you to use your computer and also use acrobat.
It's temporary because most Adobe updates will break this fix.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/permanently-disable-adobe-collab-sync/m-p/1173370...

3.c. Permanent solution 
Avoid using Acrobat Reader "PRO", use maybe google chrome to open PDF's. If you want to modify a PDF, maybe use a different computer which sole purpose is to edit PDFs, review comments etc and then sends back PDFs to the "clean" computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Quite honestly, we don't see this as a “problem” nor have any other significant number

> of our users.

Perhaps the user's that experience this tend to just switch to a different reader? Silence does not necessarily mean that there isn't a problem. As this discussion shows. I certainaly have this problem too, in the same scenario. I.e. PDF generated by some script or other software, from source material, and I want to check on the rendered PDF while making changes to the script or the source material.

> Perhaps a better solution is to fix LaTeX or its parameterization to prompt for a new file name

> if it finds the current file is locked or possibly have LaTeX create new folders for each new

> generation of PDF files it generates which you can copy over when you are done mucking with

> the previous generation's file.

I'm afraid you sort of miss the point here. A much simpler solution than modiying LaTeX or other scripts to produce a new file name, would be to simply close the reader program before attempting to regenerate the PDF. But the actual _point_ is that it leads to an inefficient and tedious workflow. When I run the script under Linux with evince as PDF viewer, it doesn't lock the file and I can repeatedly rerun the script and within a split second evince will detect the file change and update the rendered view. Keeping the PDF rendered on half the screen and my editor on the other half, this is quite efficient. On Windows colleagues tend to use Acrobat Reader by default, this preventing this workflow. Closing Reader and reopening the file manually after every rerun of the script is inefficient. Making the script always use a new file name doesn't fix this, because I would still need to open the file manually and now I have a bunch of files to delete also so it's actually even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's reasonable that Acrobat locks a PDF file while it is open in Acrobat. However, there has been a fundamental bug in Acrobat (or its associated processes) for many years: it locks a PDF file (or its folder) even when the PDF file has been closed in Acrobat! The processes AcroCEF.exe and AdobeCollabSync.exe seem to be the culprits. Consequently, our DTP software cannot rewrite a PDF file even though it has been closed in Acrobat. Instead, the entire Acrobat application has to be closed. Alternatively, using Windows task manager to end the offending processes (named above) immediately allows our software to rewrite the PDF file. Not correctly releasing files represents a fundamental error in Acrobat's file handling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second your request for I was stumbling over this thread after having same issue I've encountered multiple times for the past months: opening PDF file from a pen drive in Acrobat, then close the file, close Acrobat, trying to unmount the pen drive which is failing due to "some" application is using this file. Solution: open task manager, kill any running Adobe collaboration service process, unmount ...

I do not ever collaborate with colleagues when opening files using any of the Adobe applications. Sometimes those files are private stuff Adobe shouldn't even consider to sync with anyone anywhere. This is highly annoying not to say close to criminal behaviour in terms of EU GDPR. At what point in time did I express my consent with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also using Adobe Pro DC V 2020.012.20048 and struggle with Adobe releasing the file lock. I sometimes have to edit the name of the file after viewing it, but at times when I close the document I get the "file is open in Adobe" warning. The lock is active. I then have to close the program down completely ( mulitple windows and tabs in some cases sometimes just one) and relaunch the program.  This forces me to close down all my research I was reviewing and start over by reopening and paging to where I last left off. It can be a large task to so so and wastes hours of time over the course of  a day.  ADOBE UPDATE YOUR FILE LOCK SOFTWARE! I've been dealing with this for 3+ years! Its not a version issue it is a root issue.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but with respect, I take issue with your assessment that "other significant number of our users". This has been a problem with PDFs for over a decade if you want thumbnails in explorer, without which managing them is terrible.

When used as a viewer, it does not make sense that a document must be locked for exclusive access. If the document is actively being read, ok.  if the document has changed, notifiy the user it has, and re-open. locking a document that is only being read, even when it's not being read, is bad-form.

I need thumbnails. generation of thumbnails and/or previewing them locks pdfs, and sometimes doesn't let go after many minutes of being outside that folder.

so... this is a problem for me, and has been for over a decade. just because I haven't previously piped up, and others haven't either, doesn't mean it's not a problem.  it just means that most people, imo, feel that adobe will dismiss the problem as too hard and not worth the bother.  which is an unfortunate attitude. That said, it seems to be changing with the subscription model. much to many folks' surprise.

while reading a file, pdf or otherwise, the process doing so should be able to open in read-only mode, note the modification date, and release the lock while not actively reading the file. When re-entering reading mode, check the file modification date and if it's changed, notify the user it's changed and offer to re-load.

something like that for a VIEWER makes way more sense to me.

but does my voice matter? - I'm still not 100% sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this reply before, and I guess it's up to Adobe to tell people to shove off and download alternative software all they want. I just think it's hilarious that you can be this dismissive of a suggestion and then be surprised that you don't have more users who need the functionality.

I'm guessing at least half of SumatraPDF's user base would have been using acrobat reader if they weren't forced to use software that actually integrates with other software. Even your own software clashes with this! It's not because we think PDF is the main format for Illustrator, it's because we're *exporting* to PDF from Illustrator and Indesign, and we'd want to be able to do that without double checking that the file isn't open in Reader or *selected* in Explorer. 

Make the reader mode difficult to get to if you want, the people who care don't worry about having to set some cmd flag, and the people who would consider this a bug will never see it.

At the very least you have to admit that it's weird to reserve editing rights for a thumbnail previewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a BAT file with the following:

taskkill /IM AcroCEF.exe /F
taskkill /IM AdobeCollabSync.exe /F

et voila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines