• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does installing the Acrobat Reader DC Font Pack enable unauthorized tracking on the Internet?

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does installing the Acrobat Reader DC Font Pack enable undisclosed and unauthorized cookies from Adobe to track users actions on the Internet so Adobe can sell the users combined "metadata"?

I am aware that installing or allowing the use of some Windows 3rd-party fonts (i.e. Google Fonts and Font Services) may enable a Google to use software Cookies and install Windows Services to track a Browser-User's movements and website visits on the Internet.

Since Adobe implemented the free Acrobat Reader DC Font Pack updates, I have not found any online info that discusses if Adobe is also using these free font updates as a revenue source. 

Elders sometimes say that "the devil is in the details" of a contract...  I wonder when users install and enable "free" Adobe software and updates, they agree to contract terms and conditions that allows Adobe to monitor, document and later sell their user "meta-data" after tracking users movements on the Internet.  

Rumor has it that Adobe is very aggressive in tracking free or commercial users' software registered with Adobe, track any users whom visit any Adobe websites, and track everyone who visits websites that use any Adobe software or Adobe fonts because:

1.) Adobe says they are trying to encourage public safety on the Internet and protect Adobe intellectual property + corporate assets when people use any Adobe software or public, private, government or business computers.

2.) Adobe generates more of a company revenue stream when they track Internet users on the Internet and sell the "metadata" th third-party companies for targeted advertising...

How can I see or discover if Adobe is still trying to tracking my Internet movements through installed Adobe software, when I have tried to temporarily disable all software and services related to Adobe?

I do not have a way like Event Viewer to see if installing and using Acrobat Reader or its fonts suddenly enables Adobe to track users like me on the Internet.  Currently, I disable Adobe AIR, Flash and any related Adobe software services, and try not to load Adobe software unless I need to use them on my fully-updated Windows 10 Pro Laptop. 

TOPICS
Download and install , How to , PDF and browsers , Share or review PDFs , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These fonts are not web loaded on demand. It’s a self contained download. The font pack so t change the web connections Adobe make; it already exists you to login. Consult Adobe privacy statement and Sidtware EULA for the privacy rights you give up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's "undisclosed and unauthorized" what makes you think we would know about it? Or if we did, would say so?

And those "rumors" you mention are very serious. If true, they mean Adobe is breaking the law in multiple locations, most notably the EU. I would recommend you don't repeat such "rumors" if they can't be substantiated, if you don't want to be guilty yourself of libel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that Adobe collects and sells far more “metadata” information about users than currently disclosed to the public.   

Reduced tracking of users on the Internet reduces metadata available to sell to 3rd party companies and thus reduces possible Adobe revenue and profits.

This partly explains why Adobe is opposed to Internet privacy laws that protect users in the EU.

In the USA, California has started to implement laws similar to the EU that protect the privacy of Internet users in California.  

Adobe tracking of users on the Internet occurs regardless of:

1. which Adobe product is installed or opened by a user,
  2. whether or not the user is the owner of the Adobe product(s),
  3. whether or not they access a 3rd party website that has Adobe products installed on that website and
  4. regardless of type or age of Adobe software that is installed, and/or whether it is Adobe Acrobat Reader, Flash, Creative Suite, etc.  

Some forum members question if Adobe monitors user actions on the Internet and collects metadata without the user’s express (written) permission.

What I discuss is not slander against Adobe… Please view the following Internet posts as example articles that relate to companies in the USA currently tracking Internet Users access and collecting unauthorised use metadata for that company's benefit or profit.

Both Microsoft and Facebook have been charged with violating Internet users personal privacy, convicted, and paid huge corporate fines levied by governments in the USA and EU countries.

In the EU member countries with Privacy Laws, Adobe and other software companies must conform to EU regulations that require user approval and prior notification when software cookies are installed on a user’s browser. 

According to the EU, Users should also be notified whenever that company tracks or monitors a user’s movements and/or actions on the Internet without that user’s prior authorization.

Generally, these EU companies that maintain websites require users to click on a popup message so allow Cookies use and tracking on the Internet, whenever the user tries to view or access the company website.

Adobe USA websites currently does not have any such pop-up message that requires users to acknowledge software cookies are being installed.  Adobe does not adequately disclose the user’s Internet access, and website use is being tracked with their Browser when the users visits any Adobe website or 3rd-party websites that use Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your last points are easily proven wrong. Open www.adobe.com in an Incognito tab and you'll see the following message:

Snap4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, you are asking, in the Adobe forum, if Adobe secretly does something not previously disclosed? Good luck with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines