• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error: "There was an error while reading this Stream" - how can i fix this?

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When opening a pdf file, experienced the following: Error while opening this stream.

My IT team and I tried to reinstall the program, repair the installation, and even did a system restore. Nothing seemed to help.

We tried to do "open with"  and it said we may not have permission to open the file, but it is a file we created.

We have the pro version of reader and the regular version .

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Update the firmware on the scanner. I had this same problem today with multiple users and the update took care of everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, and have tried opening the same document on another computer running the DC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Where are the documents located?

Is this happening with all the PDF's files? If the file is located on Shared/Network drive, try to copy them locally and try opening again.

Also, let us know the version of Acrobat and Reader installed. And name and version of operating system you are using.

Regards,

Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I was opening the PDF as an email attachment, but have then saved it to the desktop to open.  

The Acrobat I am using is Acrobat Reader DC (on both computers I have tried).  Version details: 2015 release.  2015.020.20042

I have tried repairing the program through the Control Panel - Programs, but this didn't change anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe support,

I encounter this issue when open the PDF file from MS excel document externally link to the PDF. Can you advise this is due to the link or PDF document itself?

While opening up PDF doc that saved locally, I dont have such issue.

Thank for your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  Details:

- the pdf document is created by me from within MS Word 2013

- full page figures are created by others in ArcGIS

- I splice the figures into the document by pulling them from thumbnail view to thumbnail view as I have for years

Everything looks great.  I close and reopen.  The imported figures give me the error message.  The display is inconsistent, some times I will get none of the added figures, some times I will get various parts of the figure (appears that some of the original layers are showing and not others), sometimes I will get all of the figures. The figures are 1 to 3 MB, page size maps.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, 2015 Release (Classic), Version 2015.006.30244. on a standalone computer with Windows 7 Enterprise.  The maps were created by multiple other people over a period from recent to 2 years ago.

A client first reported the problem a month ago in a file I sent and I then confirmed it on my computer.  I have just generated another report with the same problem.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sleddog and Nicolep ,

Is it possible for you to share those files with us, using which are able to reproduce the behaviour?

If yes, you may use Adobe Send or Google drive or DropBox to share those files with us. And may share the link via private message: How Do I Send Private Message

Note: You can't attach the files on the forum post.

- Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. My scanner creates the PDF, and it opens just fine in the Firefox plugin (version 11.0.18) and in the Adobe XI application (also version 11.0.18), but generates this error ("There was an error reading the stream") when my coworkers try to open the file in Adobe DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Realtimecomp,

Are you getting this prompt for each file created using this scanner? 

Have you tried updating scanner drivers? Also, have you tried repairing Acrobat? To repair Acrobat, launch Acrobat>help>Repair installation.

Restart your machine and try again creating a file and try to view. If the problem is still reproducible help us with the scanner details and with some files that are exhibiting this issue via private message: How Do I Send Private Message

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was having the same problem with GIS figures when dragging from thumbnail to thumbnail.  When I drag them from Windows Explorer worked fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update the firmware on the scanner. I had this same problem today with multiple users and the update took care of everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to know that you got the issue fixed. Let us know if you have further questions in future.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I seem to be having the same issue with PDFs scanned from a Brother MFC-9340CDW. Other readers can view them fine, but in Adobe i get the error and part of one of the pages is missing.

Any other ideas about how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi james96908725,

Sorry for the hear about that.

If possible please share sample files with us How to share a document and have you tried to update the firmware and drivers for your scanner?

Also, let us know the version of Acrobat/Reader you are using?

Will be waiting for your response.

-Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2017 Oct 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same errors, but it has nothing to do with any scanners.

If I open a .pdf, any .pdf from local or network share and I leave it open for an unspecified period, when I make the Acrobat window active again, I'll get this error on the pages.  They'll just go blank, and then I have to reopen.

These are pdf files were created my a multitude of people using any number of resources; scanners, Word export, creation in Acrobat Pro (10-DC).

So does Acrobat just dump what it may be storing in RAM? Is there a setting to maintain connections to documents?  It's rather annoying for multitasking.

Thanks.

~Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have 1 user in an office of 25 people using Acrobat DC that has the exact same issue posted by Glenn... multiple files open, some created by her, some by others in the office, some product cut sheets from manufacturers or consultants.  After a period of time, if she tries to switch to different files already open, or switches back to the program from another, she gets the stream error and all pages are blank.  She has to close the program and reopen all the sheets.  This happens several times a day.

We are already on the fence about switching to BluBeam or another product due to the constant printing issues with Acrobat, this isn't helping the case.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

After going onsite, and spending a day with them,I was able to see that the error would happen when a background group policy refresh took place.   After further investigation I discovered that a mapped drives group policy was in effect with a setting of “replace”  I changed this to “Update” and the issue has not happened since.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dang74,

I face same problem. Can you explain detail on how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2019 Jan 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you mind share how to perform this change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have this problem constantly too. Sometimes pages of a document just disappear and you need to close and re-download the document. I can't scroll quickly through a document or the pages disappear. "There was an error while reading a stream" or "Insufficient data for an image" is displayed. Not necessarily scanned, usually documents saved as a PDF. Very annoying and time-consuming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the same issue at work in Adobe Reader DC (version 2022.001.20117) with pdf files on our company network drives.

Reading through different posts I managed to find the following solution :

- with a random pdf file opened in Adobe Reader DC go to "edit" - "preferences" 

- in the left column "categories" click "security (enhanced)"

- in the field "privileged locations" click "add folder path" 

- select the network drive(s) where the files are located 

- confirm/close by 2x clicking on "OK"

Haven't had the error message since!

Grtz,

Stefaan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi gary, did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same thing happening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No feedback at all. It still happens all the time, and it is not the scanner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, it seems this is a normal thing with Adobe unfortunately, bit dissapointing... I noticed this stuff happening since we upgraded to creative cloud / adobe acrobat dc pro, dont remember having the issue with adobe acrobat XI pro, and it doesnt happen in foxit reader which suggests its an issue with the adobe software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes very anoying. I wish it workded like it used to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines