• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every file I download is downloaded as a PDF regardless what kind of file it is

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some how playing with my Adobe program I somehow told it to turn every file I download into a PDF file.  I don't want it to do that, I want the file I am downloading to remain as the original file not a PDF. Can anybody help me with this????

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you downloading these files, where are you downloading from, what is the operating system and version are you using, what is the default PDF handler in your system, what is the Adobe product that you're using to view PDFs with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is absolutely nothing in any Adobe product (much less Adobe Reader which has no means of producing PDF files) that has the option or capability of automatically converting any downloaded file into a PDF (and apparently deleting the original file).

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you open the files in Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that what probably happened is that you accidentally associated some unrelated file-types with Reader, so it tries to open them each time you open one of those files, which it of course can't do, as it can only open PDF files.

If you're on Windows right-click one of those downloaded files while holding down Shift and then select Open With - Choose Default Program... And then select the application you want to use for that type. For example, if it's a .docx file, select Word. Tick the box to use that application as the default for this file type and the problem should go away.

Repeat for each file type that you see is not associated correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if is .exe.? I have an executble file that has converted to .pdf. There is no option listed in the methor you suggest.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines