• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files opening with a different name

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within an EMR application, files can be saved as a pdf with a specific file name.  However, each time a file is opened - it is given the name Case.  IE Case (01), Case (02), etc.  After 100 files are opened, it is asking to save the file with a different name.  When I look at the document properties in Adobe, I see under title the actual file name (not Case).  The same ERM application, does have pdfs that open just fine.  I am using Chrome/Windows.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

If you have Acrobat you can change the Title property of the file, remove it, or change the setting to display the file-name instead of the title, but none of that is possible with the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title is metadata, which Acrobat MUST preserve. Some PDF creators set it to the file name, so it stays the same if files are renamed. This is by design. If you do not want this to happen you need to stop the metadata from being set by the PDF creator (EMR application). Perhaps it uses Word internally? Word does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Acrobat you can change the Title property of the file, remove it, or change the setting to display the file-name instead of the title, but none of that is possible with the free Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found was, the file name cannot be renamed after converting to pdf. So I found better to save like

File>print>microsoft print to pdf>print>filename.pdf>save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I found was, the file name cannot be renamed after converting to pdf. So I found better to save in microsoft word like

File>print>microsoft print to pdf>print>filename.pdf>save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On MS Windows use the Windows Explorer and change the file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the file name will not affect the file's title, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adobe, please remove this double naming of filename AND title, it creates so much confusion. And what is very irritating is that mmost people do not know about it or DO know, like me, but do not take the effort to populate both, resulting in NOT knowing which file is which when several tabs are open simultaneously ; or having funny names, one of my contractor had MOST OF his documents titled "financial template": who is the bozo: them, or you?

Or put BY DEFALUT the filename inside the title, still keeping the possibility to retitle manually

Adobe Acrobat Reader v2021.001.20135 is its name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not up to Adobe. The title is a built-in part of the PDF metadata (per the ISO) and should be displayed if entered. Each application that creates a PDF file can decide whether to fill it in, or not, and if so with what.

The only thing the viewer application can decide on is whether or not to show the title or the file-name by default, and Acrobat allows you to set that. It's up to the creator of the file to make sure the title of their file makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you specified in the preferences of Acrobat Reader DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to your question, I went to Edit-Preferences-Documents-Open Settings, and checked "Always use filename as document title". After all these times of searching Help and the Community on this topic, what a SIMPLE answer. I can't believe I've never found this before. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines