• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable forms on an iPad

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get a fillable form, which works on a desktop and laptop, to work on an ipad.  The PDF downloads, but the fields that should be fillable, are not.  I have opened it in the adobe app.  I tried the Fill & Sign tool and got the following error "No supported document opened. This is a policy-protected PDF, which is not supported by the Fill & Sign tool."  The following link is where the form can be downloaded from.

Probate and Fiduciary Surety Bond Application - Meadowbrook Direct

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue.  Weird thing is, everything was working beautifully until about 5 days ago.  I create a partially filled out fillable form, then upload it to MS OneDrive where one of my users opens it from their ipad and then "open in another app" to adobe reader.  They used to have no issues with dropdown boxes, text fields, etc. but now they cannot use the form anymore.  My business depends on this function and it has suffered since this capability has suddenly stopped working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out, though it isn't the best solution.  I had password protected the PDF, so that only the fillable fields were editable.  I didn't want people to be able to save the file and edit the formatting or questions.  It worked fine on a PC, but I had to get rid of the protection for the fillable fields to work on an ipad.  I couldn't even unlock it with the adobe app on the iPad, I have to unlock it on my PC, remove the protection, re-upload it to our website, and then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My form wasn’t protected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Not sure how exactly you were using your adobe forms in conjunction with OneDrive, etc, but I have a 90% solutions (not 100% because of how easy it is for human error to mess it up...).

My issue was all of the sudden my ipad users were no longer able to pull the forms from OneDrive, open in Adobe reader and still have use of the fillable form functions.  The fields would be misaligned and the PDFs were "read-only".    This all started happening around the same time two things changed:  1) I incorporated using a "template" form that was saved to a O365 share site; and also OneDrive app for ipad was updated.  So, suffice to say I am not 100% which of those two things (or a combo of both) was responsible for the issue.

Regardless, here's how I've overcome this problem:   I now only upload fillable form PDFs from my desktop directly to MS OneDrive.  Also, when the ipad user goes to open the fillable form, he CANNOT allow OneDrive app to open the preview screen on it.  If he does, it will from that point on always appear as described above and read-only.   Instead, he has to ensure to tap and HOLD the file until the blue bar at the top and the blue check mark beside the file appear and then the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner of OneDrive will appear to access the "open in another app" function.   If this protocol is followed, I've had no issue with adobe reader seeing the file as a fillable form.

If for some reason, the user screws up and allows OneDrive to open the PDF, Adobe Reader will also see the file as a "read-only."  The only thing you can do at that point is delete the file in adobe and OneDrive, then re-upload it into OneDrive and try again.

At least this seems to be the case for me so far.  I hope this works for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Almasys,

with the Onedrive work around option are your pdf's password protected? I'm trying the suggestion out for a client, but my pdf's need to remained password protected and this work around doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying to be exact about the instructions. Wondering if I'm doing it wrong (that human error thing you mentioned) or if the issue is that my pdf's are password protected? Thanks for any insight you may have. I appreciate your detailed suggested work around.

This is extremely frustrating Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello 

Did anyone find the solution to this problem?  Was the one drive option still password protected and then editable in acrobat reader?

I have password protected fillable pdf which needs to be able to open on an old ipad. When I send it to the ipad it only lets me fill in the fillable bits when all the password protection has been removed which is not what I want, I want a fillable password protected PDF which is editable in acrobat reader on an old ipad!

Any help grately appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi 

Just wondering if the one drive option allows you to keep the password protection of the fillable pdf and does this work on the ipad?

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the workaround cetimm.  Although, as far as I know my form wasn't protected either.  In fact, I used Excel as the template then converted it to adobe so there essentially were no fields to edit other than the ones that were intended to be.  This worked beautifully for the users until recently.   Regardless, I will see what happens after I double check that the protections are indeed off.  Thanks again and I sure hope there is a better fix coming down the pike in lieu of a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines