One of my clients is having a similar problem. He cannot open ANY pdf files I send to him anymore. No one else has problems opening my pdf files, and he can open pdf files from other people. I am using Acrobat 9 Pro, he is using Acrobat reader 9.
p.s. he tried your suggestion of right clicking and saving with new name....no luck.
This is a pretty old thread but maybe we can help but, could you give us some more information?
How are you sending the PDF files to the Reader user (email, CD...etc?). How are they trying to open it (double clicking in the email if applicable, using File>Open...etc)? What exactly happens when they try and open it (nothing, an error message...etc)?
The more details we can get, the better.
WEll there IS a chance the either his or your email providor is using some sort of encoding on the filoes which can corrupt the PDF but that won't normally corrupt ZIP files. Odd.
You are printing to the PDF printer. As an experiment, let's take your version of Acrobat completely out of this. Instead of printing to a PDF, try exporting to PDF from InDesign (that process doesn't use Acrobat at all).
If the same thing happens, you can at least rule out Acrobat. At that point it is either your email providor (you can test that by sending the files on a CD or some other media) or something on the other persons end. The latter will be hard to do anything about unless he comes in here with some details.
I tried exporting to pdf instead of printing to pdf. Same results.
Put test files on a CD ... he could open fine.
Seems there is some glitch in his server? His new e-mail address messes up the files I send him. His old server/address does not give any problems opening my files. However, he can open pdf files sent to his new address by other people. It seems to be just me and his new address creating havoc. The workaround, for now is to send to old address.
Seems to me to not be an Acrobat issue...more of a server issue...but try to convince the customer of that!
I do appreciate your help and suggestions.
I did it - but not with a new name - just saved to desktop and then right clicked / selected "open with" 0->Adobe Reader. It worked. Double clicking on the pdf files wasn't working for me all of a sudden (last few months). This workaround worked!
I am also having similar problems with version 9.0.4 - Some
of the pdf files I get within a web page don't open. Those I get
via e-mail don't seem to give any proble.
The workaround the person posted (right clicking/"open with" dropdown menu/select Adobe Reader). THANKS!
Weird that this has been happening. Used to be able to double click and the pdf would open. Anyway - the workaround works!
im having the same problem and i tried to right click and was going to click open with but adobe isnt there only word or note pad i have a lot of documents on my computer and i cannot open them