Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Form filled text disappears when opening PDF document

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

A user has a form from the state that they have clients fill out.  The form has fields that the client fills out and returns.  The user has reported to me that the data is not visible in the form.  I have confirmed that once you open the PDF, the data is there for a split second then disappears.  It's almost as if Adobe Reader is clearing the data or hiding it.  Clicking on the fields put the cursor at the beginning of the field as if there was nothing in there previously.

I have done a bit of Google searching, but have not found an answer.  I have confirmed this is occurring on both Adobe Reader 11, DC and Acrobat X Standard.  Any input is appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

That pdf definitely has a JavaScript to reset the form fields.

reset.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeremyb48307379,

Please confirm what application is being used by your clients to fill the form.

And the OS and application versions exactly used.

Thanks,

Supriya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware, it's Adobe Reader that is being used to fill out the forms.  I'm guessing there is probably a spread of versions being used as these are external clients.  Same for the OS.  Probably a mix of Windows and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeremyb48307379,

Request you to share the sample form with us so we can check it at our end.

Check the private message I have sent to you for more information on the same.

Thanks,

Supriya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be that JavaScript code resets the form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the form if anyone is willing to take a look at it:

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2285.pdf

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That pdf definitely has a JavaScript to reset the form fields.

reset.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for looking into it!  Do you know if there is any way to remove it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I have been on a short vacation. Looks like you have it figured out but for anyone else that comes in here the answer is, no, not with the free Adobe Reader. You can remove these things with the full version of Acrobat. Alternately, you can contact the creator of the pdf and have them remove it if they want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your expertise!

Quick question: I built a form that this is happening to -- but only partially. As background ... I build a ton of forms using InDesign and then Acrobat to refine the fillable fields, but this is the only one that has random fields just "empty" when the user saves and re-opens. Other than a clear form button at the top, I can't find any associated script that would cause fields to be cleared. Any ideas?

(I've linked to a blank version of the form, here below, because the examplest I have  are filled out with  private/protected data.)

Form that doesn't erases field content when people save/reopen 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind, got it squared away.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread, I know, but for those who find it - simply disable JavaScript in Preferences (Edit menu >> Preferences >> JavaScript).   Kudos to graffiti for putting a finger on it.  Colorado forms still do this.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issues with my wife's real estate forms. She fills them out, but when her broker goes to open them, she can't see them. I also can't see them, but the info flashes for a second before it switches to the blank form fields. Other agents use the same form which is made available to them via OneDrive, and the broker doesn't have this problem with anyone else. My wife found a work around when she saves the filled form by doing a Print to PDF instead of Save As, but that seems like barely a patch. I feel like the only difference is my wife's computer or licensed Adobe Acrobat, so the problem seems to happen there. It just started, and I think she recently subscribed to Acrobat, so maybe using the free Adobe Reader previously.  I'm pretty sure the other agents are just using Adobe Reader to fill in their forms. That would infer to me that, if Adobe Reader worked fine, then the Paid Acrobat app might be where the problem is occurring.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines