Highlighted

Form's number of pages depending on filled fields

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a form for safety reviews. When filling it in, the user is supposed to declare all safety events first.

I have a set of 2 pages that I would like to duplicate for each safety event (1 safety event = 2 analysis pages). In a nutshell, the total number of pages of my form depends on the number of safety events declared.

All my safety events are declared in text fields (1 filled text field = 1 safety event).

I would like, if it is at all possible (but I'm confident it is) to have, each time a safety event text field is filled, my 2 analysis pages to be duplicated so that, in the end, I have 2 analysis pages per safety event.

I hope I'm being clear here, don't hesitate to ask questions. 

I just started to study how PDF Forms work with JavaScript, so it would be nice to have so help. I struggle to find the variables I can use to do this : I imagine ther must be some kind of variable for each page that I could duplicate...? But I don't know if it's that simple.

I'm gonna keep on looking, in the meantime, I thank you for your precious help.

Topics

PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Form's number of pages depending on filled fields

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm working on a form for safety reviews. When filling it in, the user is supposed to declare all safety events first.

I have a set of 2 pages that I would like to duplicate for each safety event (1 safety event = 2 analysis pages). In a nutshell, the total number of pages of my form depends on the number of safety events declared.

All my safety events are declared in text fields (1 filled text field = 1 safety event).

I would like, if it is at all possible (but I'm confident it is) to have, each time a safety event text field is filled, my 2 analysis pages to be duplicated so that, in the end, I have 2 analysis pages per safety event.

I hope I'm being clear here, don't hesitate to ask questions. 

I just started to study how PDF Forms work with JavaScript, so it would be nice to have so help. I struggle to find the variables I can use to do this : I imagine ther must be some kind of variable for each page that I could duplicate...? But I don't know if it's that simple.

I'm gonna keep on looking, in the meantime, I thank you for your precious help.

Topics

PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do that you would need to convert your pages into Template objects and then you'll be able to spawn new copies from them, using a script. This is a complex task, though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm gonna do some research on that.

I'll let you know what I find.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

I succeeded, a quick view on how.

I put my 2 analysis pages in a separated file (insert.pdf).

In my main file, I ask the user to fill in the safety events and then to click on a button that inserts the safety analysis pages (using insertPages function) for each safety event. This is quite tricky because the insertPages function has to be ran in a priviledged environment so I had to go through a Folder-Level javascript.

Then, after inserting the 2 pages, it creates the fields to be filled in (because I don't want all the analysis fields to come from my insert.pdf file otherwise they will all show the same data). The function for that task is addField.

I can send some code if needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC