Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Google Chrome behavior change with Acrobat Customization wizard

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks,

Over the past a little while I have been investigating an oddity with Google Chrome opening PDFs.

By default, Google Chrome downloads the PDF to the downloads folder. Then you click the file and it opens in Adobe Reader. The oddity I found was when the "Adobe Acrobat" chrome extension is installed and the Adobe customization wizard is installed at the same time, in Chrome, I get "Open with Adobe Reader" without actually downloading the file and it opens Adobe Reader with the PDF. I'm trying to get Chrome to open PDF's automatically without downloading, but I dont want to install the wizard on every workstation.

Can anyone else reproduce it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

I find that by default Chrome opens PDF files right there, without downloading, and without using any Adobe technology. The wizard changes this, but you seem to have a third option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that by default Chrome opens PDF files right there, without downloading, and without using any Adobe technology. The wizard changes this, but you seem to have a third option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it opens basic PDFs by default. However, it doesn't open up fillable/digital signature type PDF's. It will open the "please wait screen". When following the instructions above, it gives a third option to open without downloading the fillable PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The file is always downloaded and placed somewhere. You just don't control the process. Use File > Properties in Reader to see where it has downloaded to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines