• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand Tool (Pan) Does Not Function

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For just one particular .pdf document the Hand Tool doesn't function.  After clicking on the Hand Tool icon in the tool bar and moving my cursor into the document, the hand tool cursor appears very briefly and then quickly changes to the select cursor.  I cannot pan the document.  The document just turns blue, apparently selecting the whole document.  I have tried changing set up parameters through the Edit/Preferences menus (Accessibility and General) but nothing works.  These steps were discussed in other online forums. The odd thing is that this problem is only in one document out of many .pdf documents that I work with.  Anyone have experienced this or have suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlesd,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. As per the description above, the hand tool is not working in a specific PDF, Is that correct?

Is it a Scanned PDF or a PDF with text?  How was this PDF file created/produced? As you mentioned it is specific to one PDF, Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

If hand tool is working fine with all other PDFs, then this could be a document-specific issue. Please navigate to PDF file properties from File>Properties>Description and post a screenshot of the Description tab and Security Tab. To share a screenshot, refer to https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

What is the dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Is it a Mac or Windows machine?

Navigate to Adobe Reader's Preferences from Edit>Preferences>General>uncheck 'Make Hand tool select text and images' and see if this brings any difference.

Let us know how it goes and share your observation.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same issue. Have you got any solution yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, has anyone found a resloution to it yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but haven't yet seen if an answer/solution has been posted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE PLEASE sort this out. New PS pan and zoom not working. In teh middle of working on ID, just stopped. Ruined a natural workflow of 20 years, this is insane. SO many complaints and no solution from Adobe?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try holding ALT when trying to pan with the hand tool.  I stumbled across this and now ALT+left click mouse overrides the select cursor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around of hitting the Alt key and then holding down mouse left button works, but why do we need to do this??  Please fix this problem Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ALT key shortcut is used in lieu of the spacebar when you are actively editing text in a text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been extremely frustrating, only became a problem for me after a recent computer upgrade. After reading the clue in your question, I found that the following worked for me.

Edit > preferences > general, under basic tools uncheck "make hand tool select text & images". Thank you for leading me to this!  I'm running Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017.

- Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me. Using Pro DC. Funny/Frustrating that Adobe can't respond officially or input the answer into their help search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another thing I would note: if you don't want to turn this setting off, I found that if you double-click somewhere on the page where there isn't an image or text to select (white space), then it tends to work a little better for panning after that. If that doesn't work, you should be able to just click on white space and just pan with that. But if you don't want to go through that trouble, then turning this setting off is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Be Well,

Darrell Thornley
512-230-6277

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I've had the same problem.  It turns out the fix for this is actually quite simply.  Keep your mouse moving.  If you let your mouse stay still (it only takes a fraction of a second) it will detect text and switch to a curser, then it will begin highlighting when you click, instead of panning.  Simply give the mouse a quick flick and it goes back to the Hand tool, at the same moment that you move the mouse, click and you'll never have to worry about getting the curser again! (at least until you leave you mouse still again).  Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured this out.  Go to Edit, select Preferences.  Under Basic tools, uncheck the box next to "Make Hand tool select text & images".  Check the box next to "Make Hand tool read articles"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure you hit ok after you do this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! This has caused embarrassment while presenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too.  At first I forgot to scroll down to click "OK"

Thanks for the answer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Thanks, I also checked the box to make hand tool zoom with mouse wheel.  I clicked ok. It still didnt work. I had to close out of acrobat and re open.  Thought this might save somebody a few extra minutes.  I have to say I have been using acrobat xpro for like 10 years now. I had to upgrade software with new Pc.  Very disappointing.  I have used all kinds of software the layout and flow of this new acrobat is so terrible and unituitive. I am afraid to try the other software in the suite.  I am coming from the CS 5 software and I am not impressed at all.  I wish I could have all the old stuff back  espeacially my desktop Outlook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to Follow Up.  I can get it working, but  it seems after clicking into the edit menu to rotate the Architectural plans so I can read them the pan function stops working again. I will try to rotate them MENU>VIEW   next time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines