• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I tell whether the text in a PDF is actually a font and not an image of text?

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I downloaded a PDF and opened it in Reader DC. I wanted to capture a single character and copy it to Notepad or another text application, but the selection tool does not seem to allow normal selection. The cursor image in selection mode does not look like an "I", it looks like a "+". And it allows you to select the character, but only by drawing a boundary box around it.

First, I looked at the document properties, security settings tab. No security - selecting and copying is allowed.

I'm thinking that this means the text is actually an image of text and it can't be selected. How can I make sure this is the problem?

Note: the document contains characters from a non-Western alphabet, and I thought that might be the issue, but it won't even allow me to select/copy roman letters or English words.

Reader version: 2020.009.20074 / 20.009.20074.61578

Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Looks like a image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are correct. The broken + (like a target) appears when you hover over an image. If you click you will see how large the image is (very likely one image for the whole page). You'd get this, for example, if someone made the file by scanning sheets of paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use this free tool I've developed to find out how many words there are in the current page or the full document:

http://try67.blogspot.com/2015/01/reader-word-count-free.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From your desription, it sounds like that PDF is one big flattened image file.  So text is no longer selectable.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines