How do I change the highlight color in Acrobat DC Pro?

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want some items to be yellow, and others a different color. Using text edit tool in Edit PDF. Defaults to yellow.

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate, Windows

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016
Hi Diana Goslin,Hightlight the text and select it. Then right click on it and click on properties. You will get the "Highlight properties" box.There you can change the colour for highlight. If you need that colour to be default, then mark box for "Make properties default" at bottom.Then click on "OK" to save settings.Regards,Meenakshi

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diana Goslin,

Hightlight the text and select it.

Then right click on it and click on properties. You will get the "Highlight properties" box.

There you can change the colour for highlight. If you need that colour to be default, then mark box for "Make properties default" at bottom.

Then click on "OK" to save settings.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Meenakshi

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its Really Cumbersome process. Every time doing these steps to change highlight color is really annoying and long process. Is there any simple way to add favourite colors to menu bar or something. In apples preview its really easy to change color. Highlight what you want and just right click so that your favourite colors will be there in the dropdown menu.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Riddleraryan,

As you need to change the color of the highlight frequently, you just need to open the highlighter tool properties box.

When you select the highlighter tool in the application, press "Ctrl+E" from your keyboard and it will open the highlighter tool properties box.

Now you can change the color to highlight every new text line easily.

Please try and let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy wow! Thank you so much Meenakshi. Why in the world would Adobe make that so hard to figure out? I really dislike the entire Adobe Acrobat UI, it is not an intuitive interface at all, but I need it to work with PDF files.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CTRL+E worked for me too. How to I make sure that the properties for the higlighter tool properties will be available on other documents automatically in the ribbon? It seems like there is not way to get to it except to use the keyboard "shortcut".

Thanks

Susan Harris

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured this out myself, and it may depend what version of Acrobat you are using. If you look at the right side of the user interface, there is a few little icons to choose from. (Create PDF, Edit Text and Images, etc). One of them is called "Comment". If you click on this it will open the comment list (this can be minimized by clicking the arrow on the left side of the list), and it will also open the comment toolbar at the top of the page. This toolbar includes the highlight tool. If you click on the highlight tool, there will be a circle on the right side of the toolbar with the current highlight colour. Just click this circle and the colour selection dropdown will appear. As long as the highlight tool remains active, you can change the colour whenever you like, by clicking the circle again and choosing a new colour.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the highlight icon. Click on show properties bar. Now the highlight properties bar will show up on your ribbon. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to have multiple highlight tools with different colors at the same time?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using the tool I've developed. See above.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but you have to selehighlight Adobe.pngct more of an area than the first selection.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. it really helped me a lot. 🙂

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider this tool I've developed, exactly for this purpose: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat/Reader -- Quickly Switch Between Highlighter Colors

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this in AcrobatPro DC 2017 release:

• Go to VIEW > TOOLS > COMMENT > OPEN
  • Then, click on the highlighter or comment ballon tool (whichever one you want to change)
  • and move over to the "..." on the tool bar
  • The 2nd choice is "color picker"

It's pretty cumbersome! I wish Adobe would make the AcrobatPro DC more intuitive and user friendly.

Enjoy!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also the case with the 2018 version - as you indicate above, except you now have to "right-click" over the 'highlight pen' and then the last button: press > PROPERTIES > spinning wheel comes on and then another box: press > APPEARANCE > select colour - then, half-hour later you can have any colour you like from the NEW dialogue box containing RGB, CMYK, HSB or Greyscale plus a whole lot of other features, like pencils, spectrum, and a multitude of other colours. It's crazy.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is totally not the situation with Acrobat DC 2015 release.  I still can't figure out how to change the highlight color.  When you select the text, right-clicking does not provide you with a menu that includes "properties."  It allows you to highly text but not change the color.

Note to Adobe:  I totally understand the need to once-in-a-while, alter things in updates.  But each update of Acrobat is like learning a new program.  This is very frustrating and you can't imagine the antagonism it creates toward your company.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're describing is not "highlighting" in the same way as was discussed in this thread. The color used when you select the text with the mouse can't indeed be changed (you can send a feature request to be able to, of course), but the color of an actual Highlight comment can be, as was described above. Nothing changed in that respect in Acrobat for many years.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your's was the first response (among many) that actually worked - thanks!!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual and most convenient solution is to right click on the logo of the highlighter and the press Command E. After doing this the properties of the tool will appear. This will let you change the color and the opacity as an integrated tool!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is right but in my case the options were coming grayed so you may need to Reset toolbars by right clicking on the highlighter icon.

Unfortunately Adobe has decided to do all its development work in India and no one seems to be keeping a check on quality or customer feedback.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Ctrl+E in Windows, and thank you for posting this! This is definitely the most convenient way to work around this gap when you need to change colors frequently. 

Does anyone know how to make the "Highlighter Tool Properties" appear by default *every* time the highlighter is selected (as opposed to having to do the "Show" command each session)? I want it to mimic the behavior of the "Add Text Comment" box. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click the Highlight properties" box. is x out...

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an awesome thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Acrobat 2020 and prior to have such a confusing UI. I find it the worst on the market and hope Adobe invests something in fixing it.

After a while I discovered the "color" tool. It's a round circle. Whatever color is selected there become the color for the tool that you are using. You must use the edit toolbar feature (I think it's right click on the toolbar) to awkwardly add tools to the bar. Add the tools you want, highligher, underline, etc. Save and they should be on the toolbar. The color tool should be visible. Make the tool active, e.g. the highligher. The color will appear in the color tool. Click the color tool after to change the color. Go back to your original tool.

This is absurd when even the worst tools usually have right click or double click on tools to open up an options panel which you can do this effortlessly.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines