• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove a checkmark from a PDF in Reader 10.1.10?

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've filled out a job application, all 3 pages, using Reader 10.1.10. It's complete with my signature and ready to send with one exception....I accidentally check a "yes" box that should needs to be unchecked. I cannot for the life of me get the x out of the box. I've watched 4 or 5 tutorials, googled my problem, read 50 forum entries, and can't find anything remotely able to help. I don't see a way to contact Adobe, I don't know anyone to call. Of course I just found out about the job last night and the application deadline is today, 6/25. I can't let this "yes" checkbox thing slide, as I'm a nurse, and it states I've had my license suspended/revoked, which is untrue. I'm desperate!!!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

That form has no fillable fields. So the question is, how did you check the box?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be a radio button instead of a checkbox which would use a different behavior. Once a radio button is selected, it cannot be deselected unless they have supplied a way to reset it.

Do you have a link to a blank form we can look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That form has no fillable fields. So the question is, how did you check the box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all else fails (which shouldn't be the case), just download a new copy of the file and re-fill it... But if you explain how you filled it in (because as mentioned, there are no form fields in it), then we could help you remove that tick from the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened the form in Adobe Reader 10.1.10. Then I clicked in the upper right on the "Sign" tab. After this, a pane opens in the window on the right, and I can choose "Add text", then put my cursor

on each line of the form and add text. I can then go back and edit the text usually, but in the case of that one box, I cannot delete the "x" in it. I can delete the x's in every other box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Select the Hand tool from the top toolbar and move the mouse

above the X you added. A blue box should appear around it. When it does,

click inside of it and then you should be able to simply remove the X using

the back-space or delete key.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:26 PM, abellewrn <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That Hand tool was very hard to find. It's under the pulldown menu under "View", then "Hide/Display", then "Toolbar items", then "Select & Zoom", and then I finally found "Hand Tool".

When I created the blue box around the x, it would not delete using either back space or delete, nor could I replace it with a space or any other character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing. Are you planning on submitting this digitally or are you planning on printing it out and mailing it in? If the former, you may want to be sure they will accept it. This form is obviously meant to fill in by hand and print out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to do this... 5 years down the line.  You can use the redaction tool.  Simply adjust the properties so that it redacts using the background colour of the document.  Then highlight the tick you wish to remove and mark it for redaction.  It will magically disappear!  Not sure if it works with just Reader though, I have full Acrobat (CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader doesn't have a redaction tool, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 01, 2019 Jun 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe DC, checkmarks can be added directly to the document using the Fill and Sign option. Once added using Fill and Sign, there appears to be no method for deleting them, which is very silly. However they can be masked so they are no longer visible when displaying or printing the document. I have used the following method successfully:

Open the Comments option

Select Drawing Tools

Select Rectangle

Insert a rectangle into the document

Right click on the rectangle and select Properties from the drop down options

Select white for border and white for fill

Position the rectangle over the checkmark and resize it so that it only obscures the checkmark itself.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It had worked for me and saved a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you rock, thank you!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tq 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was super helpful. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines