• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I remove the right hand pane in Reader DC (LOCKED)

Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I remove the right hand pane (export pdf, create pdf, edit pdf, etc.) on Reader DC?  It takes up a quarter of my screen and I never use that stuff!

Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

The July 2015 Acrobat & Reader DC update introduced a UI change for the right-hand pane. Now when you launch Acrobat/Reader DC, it will retain the last state (collapsed or open) of the tools in the Right-Hand Pane. You can find more details on this page

Acrobat Help | New features summary.

Edit: Just to clarify in Reader DC, it's a Preference located under Edit > Preferences > Documents "Open Tool pane for each document".

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 163 Replies 163
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

open Regedit and change this key from 1 to 0 :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral]

"bExpandRHPInViewer"=dword:00000000

and this one from 0 to 1 :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral]

"bRHPSticky"=dword:00000001

Hope this help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

This workaround will solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, just uncheck that box in "Edit preferences" - then when you open up another PDF,

--- click on the little arrow of the tool pane (half way down on the "left side" of the tools pane) - to collapse the tools pane. You can open it up again at will after that...

Next time you open docs in Adobe Reader aka DC (2015.009.20069), the tools pane will be closed.

Worked for me at any rate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very very bad design. It's one thing to close the stupid tools pane, but every time I try to scroll I land up opening the panel again because it's right by the scroll bar. It's obnoxious at best and affects me constantly. Please have people test the software before releasing it to the public. New version should improve the software, not push  a person to want to jump out of a building head first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brad Smith - yep, makes us want to go and use things like other free PDF s/w or Cute PDF or .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i simply deleted Viewer.aapp since the right hand pane in Reader DC was useless anyway.

seems that adode recruited some children to design this hideous UI, even the huge icons on Tools are completely pathetic. the all thing looks like a bad conversion from an phone app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many others, there is still sour in our mouths of Adobe treatment of its product users. Why force things like this down our throats when the user could easily find it when they need it! Wake up Adobe, see what's happened to Microsoft!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news. There is a global solution.

AS someone just stated earlier, in Reader DC, it's a Preference located under Edit > Preferences > Documents "Open Tool pane for each document".

Voila!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "news" were first posted in this thread on July 15, 2015, so they are not so new...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is truly unbelievable what a piece of garbage Adobe Reader is now.. 😕

(and I don't even about those moronic tablet-finger-menus here..) 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how does your message relate with the removal of the right hand panel in Reader DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great fix TMMCENTYRE!

Adobe, you should create a R&D division at your company. Obviously your research would have shown people want choices and they do not like this side bar. Yes, your product is free (and thank you for that!), and it is YOURS…but if you force changes like this, all I have to do is move to another product.

You have an overall good product, but I need my screen to NOT be filled with items that I do not use. If I want it, I will load the tool bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pity that you didn't read my message immediately above yours. No workaround is necessary if you are using the July 2015 version of the program, or any later one, because the problem was solved by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locking this thread as it has a correctly marked solution and has gone off topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines