• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to change default settings to remove navigation pane, task pane and change zoom

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, version 2019.010.20069, how in the world do I permanently turn off the task pane and navigation panes? I want the default view to be my PDF document at 100% zoom and neither of those stupid panes on either side.

I have gone to Edit -> Preferences and under Page Display I have changed the page layout to single page and the Zoom to 100%. Yet still when I open a new document it'll come up at 52.8% or something that is not 100% zoom and both those panes are up on either side. I don't use those panes, I just want to read my dang PDF.

Please help as this is getting incredibly frustrating to minimize both panes and then change the zoom EVERY time I open a different PDF.

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need Acrobat to be able to set these options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is ignoring your preference, the document has its own "how to open" choice, and it is overriding your choices. That's something to fix (if you even can) in the document creation.

You can add the "actual page size" button to the toolbar, or use Ctrl+1, to get quickly where you want if document creators think they know best.

Similarly, the navigation panel at the left is under control of the document creator. The default is just, no panel.

The advertising at the right is harder to get rid of, but you can minimize it with one click rather than a drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this be changed for an upcoming release? Why in the world should someone else's viewing preferences trump mine? If I have my default preferences, that's what I want to use, regardless of who created it.

.... and there's no advertising crap to the right, it's the task pane... very similar to the navigation pane on the left side... useless and unwanted the majority of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the most part, the author of the file has preference over the viewer in determining how the file is viewed. It's their creation, after all.

Some things you can override, others you can't. It's a delicate balance between the file format specification, the will of the author(s) and that of the viewer(s).

If you want to ask for a new feature to change that, you can do so here: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. I'll switch to reading PDF files in Google Crome then. They open exactly the way I want them there, instead of being dictated by someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's your call. It will also help you get rid of such pesky things as properly working form fields and scripts, among others...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone’s Preferences have to win. In this case, it’s the person who uses the paid-for Adobe software to make it. No idea if economics played a part but it’s been this way for 20 years now, and it’s in the rules for PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have achieved a result using the method below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft warning message

Changes made to the Windows registry happen immediately, no backup is created automatically. Do not edit the Windows registry unless you are confident about doing so.

Microsoft have issued the following warning with respect to the Registry Editor:

"Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk."

Note: What you see when opening the registry editor or backing it up, may vary slightly according to your operating system. (and application version)

How to open the Registry Editor

To open the Registry Editor, click Start > Run > Type regedit.exe > Press Enter.

How to back up the registry

Before you edit the registry, you should make a backup of the current settings.

1. Open the Registry Editor.

2. Click on File > Export... > then Export Registry File opens.

3. In the Export range panel, click All, then save your registry as backup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (Ver 19.010.20098 for my case) & Windows 10, registry path is given here, this may vary according to your version of software.

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.DC\shell\Read\command

String to be modified is similar.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" /A "navpanes=0" "%1"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked great!

Thank you for a positive, helpful answer instead of "That's how Adobe likes it so get f*****d."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know.

It took me hours to find a solution and I posted in the hope it could help someone else.

So I'm really pleased to hear it worked for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, the solution worked here as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most promising post I have seen for solving this maddening problem.  Any idea how to accomplish this on a Mac?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I've got no idea about the Mac OS sorry. I did a quick search and despite numerous results saying there is no equivalent to the Windows Registry in OSX, I did find a couple of webpages which discuss Property Lists / "Plists".
I hope there is a solution to be found for you there. Good luck 🙂
https://staxmanade.com/2015/02/mac-equivalent-of-the-windows-registry---ish/
https://www.forensicfocus.com/articles/apple-property-list-comparing-the-mac-os-x-property-list-to-t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines