• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create bookmarks in adobe acrobat reader dc

New Here ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this should be simple but obviously I'm missing something. 

I updated my Acrobat reader to DC.  I have the free desktop version, not premium or anything.  I can't figure out how to make a bookmark for the life of me.  Is that function no longer available for free users?  There's no icon to create a bookmark and I've looked all up and down through the navigation pane and there's no bookmarks tab anywhere.  Are bookmarks gone or just gone for free users?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Not possible. You need to get Acrobat to create bookmarks. The free Reader can't do it, and it won't display the Bookmarks panel for a file without bookmarks (as it can't be used for anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible. You need to get Acrobat to create bookmarks. The free Reader can't do it, and it won't display the Bookmarks panel for a file without bookmarks (as it can't be used for anything).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I was going crazy trying to figure it out.  I have another pdf program I can use instead.  Seems really weird though, like bookmarks should be a simple, basic function but whatever lol.

Thanks again for the help and the clarification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a basic function for an editor, but Reader is not an editor, it's just that: A reader of PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one would confuse iBooks with an Editor, but virtually all eBook readers allow you to set bookmarks of one kind or another. Unless your eBook is a PDF. then you can't.

That's disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67 escreveu:

It's a basic function for an editor, but Reader is not an editor, it's just that: A reader of PDF files.

I sorry, but I don't think so...

What use of a READER where we can't just mark our last read page?

Anyway, I thought Adobe was better than this, charge for such feature like bookmark...

I was loving this new version except for this... so you think "oh it's a good product let see how much for pro version.... EUR 584 no sense"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a sticky note comment to mark the page you last read, or you can enable the option (under Edit - Preferences - Documents) to restore the last view settings when you re-open a document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a sticky note comment to mark the page you last read, or you can enable the option (under Edit - Preferences - Documents) to restore the last view settings when you re-open a document.

By @try67

Excellent workaround. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, God forbid us wanting to use a bookmark in a reader... 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous. If I am reading a physical book, placing a bookmark is the action you do while reading. Placing bookmark as such doesn't "modify" the book (in the real world).

All I need is a quick way to refer back to some other location while reading without losing my current location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use comments, like a sticky note.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the author of the document has disabled comments, you can't use comments as the means for bookmarking.

And unfortunately there are publishers out there that disallow comments on their books.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they disabled commenting then you won't be able to add bookmarks anywhere, not even in Acrobat.

The application respects the wishes of the document's creator and enforces on the user any security measures they applied to the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be some misunderstanding of word "bookmarker"! It is definitely for reader, instead of editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe disagrees with you, apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this how you got your "Most Valueable Participant" whatever?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, by answering questions correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no, you don't understand - you only need Booksmarks if you are a Pro and be writing books... xD

And only chickens should be allowed to eat eggs...

Sure, it's a free tool - ok... but I got a PDF with some houndred sited and want to read this.... but not in one take...

It's a bit funny...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're just trying to make the pdf open where you left off, just go to Edit>Preferences>Documents>Open settings and click the box that says "Restore last view settings when opening documents".

This is not what Adobe calls a "bookmark" though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me 🙂 Thanks for posting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I'm looking for. A big thanks to you. Stay blessed! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, bookmarks are for readers. They help readers find their way back to a place of interest in a book. Editors use/create headings, tables of contents, indexes, and tables of concordance to help would=be readers find their way to places that they may find of interest. Adobe doesn't seem to understand the significance of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 years later and looking for the same thing. As an editor I never use bookmarks, but as a reader I do all the time. Strange that you can add comments and proofreading marks to Acrobat Reader but cant bookmark a page..

Luckily we are not dependent on Adobe any more for a decent pdf reader and creator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's get back to Foxit reader then! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is ridiculous. Document reader without ability to add bookmark, especially if previous version did have it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines