• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to develop plugins for Adobe reader in macOS

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add menu to existing Adobe reader Application in macOS. Any heads are much appreciated. It would be more helpful if anyone can point to documentation, and any plugin sample. Which language or tools can be used to develop macos plugins. Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have go throughed this document, it would be greatful if i can be pointed to any sample plugin that is written for mac OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Samples are available in the SDK:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/sdk/eula.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before even starting with it you need to apply for a special license from Adobe to do so. Without this license you can't do anything, and it's not easy to get it. So start with that, and when you get it, start working on your code, or you'll be potentially wasting your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if you can point me to a documentation where i can apple for  licence . Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other thing is that you will need the current paid-for Acrobat app. You must use Scrobat to create and test the plugins first, then enable in Reader. So you have the cost of Acrobat and the variable cost of the plugin license. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... plugins are written in C++, or Objective C on Mac. You need Xcode on Mac of course. To make plugins for Catalina, they must be notarized and you will need a paid-for Apple developer license certified for your company.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Scrobat, Even for testing plugins should i need licence and Pro account. I have got some documents https://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/acrobat_dc_sdk/2015/HTMLHelp/#t=Acro12_MasterBook%2FPlugins_Cre.... But those are supporting  OS10.8. Where can i get latest adobe SDK which has samples that support catalina.  Please guide me as i am new in this plugin developement. Your help is very much appreciated. I have Apple Developer license and i will aslo work on getting adobe license

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, a typing error Scrobat should have been Acrobat. Yes, you will need to pay for

- Acrobat Pro

- Reader plug-ins license (Price Negotiated, Adobe limit very much who can have a license; some kinds of license cost as much as $25K per year)

- Apple developer membership (not the free one) and certificate

There is no new SDK, so you will need to take what you have and adapt it. 

Good luck, plug-ins is a fascinating, but very frustrating, area to work in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the Integration key for mac plugin and  Reader plug-ins license both same . Where can i get it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is free right , cant i just use it for  developing a sample plugin. if at all i need to get Pro for Adobe reader which one should i get , will it still support free version. Is there a way that i can get call scheduled with acrobat technical support to get all info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader plug-ins are just Acrobat plug-ins, with a special key. You will only get the key later, so you will need Acrobat to develop and debug it, and to pay close attention to the plug-in limits for Reader, as described in the large amount of documentation. Please read it, you will need it. There is no quick path to this knowledge. Adobe tech support know nothing about programming. There is supposed to be developer support. The last I heard it as $200 to raise a single case. Nobody will explain a summary, there are hundreds of pages of crucial info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple Info on notarization (a small part of what you need, and not in the Acrobat SDK):

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode/notarizing_macos_software_before_distribution?langua...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to ask you so much but which Acrobat software should i purchase to develop plugins for Adobe reader. I will be patient enough and read all the documentation and summarise things needed for my development.

i was just overwhelmed seeing an ocean of  documentation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is kind of overwhelming. This is high level stuff, aimed at people already familiar with developing in C/C++, because it explains nothing you need to know about that. If you are not a C++ programmer, you have a very big learning curve, as much in how to use the tools as the coding language. You will need the developer tools, which Apple makes available for free. The SDK was written for an older release of XCode but you need XCode 10 to notarize. This can lead to lots of awkward and frustrating adapting of details, even changes to Adobe's header files. Yes, big project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick check: are you the only person who will use the plug-in? If so, just buy Acrobat and forget about the Reader plug-in license. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No m not the only one, i need to develop this for using across multiple machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to develop a plugin with same functionality on both windows and Mac. We have already integration key we got from adobe for windows , can i reuse it for Mac. Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use your key in Mac? It depends on Adobe, I think. To get the reader key you will have made a detailed proposal to Adobe - what did they approve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

./SignPlugin -kp ./ACROBAT_private_keypair -cf ./ACROBAT_private.rc "./BasicPlugin.acroplugin"

Plugin or Certificate not found.

where can i see detailed error description. But i am passing Plugin and Certificate appropriately. Where can i see error messages details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you familiar with Unix command lines? That message is as much as any Unix command line will give. Check all the paths are correct and quoted or escaped as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paid acrobat app means is it 

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of menus want you add?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A custom memu to save PDF  in to my remote drive. I will add logic accordingly after adding menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines