• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to disable pesky "save as" dialog (2x) in Acrobat DC?

Participant ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TnKLGAQ.png

as above - Acrobat DC introduces an ADDITIONAL Save as Dialog (after hitting f12), which I don't need because I will always choose a specific location. Is there any way to disable this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Curiouscat,

Sorry, not really able to get from the picture shown above what you are referring to?

The box shown above is correct, there is no additional "Save As PDF" option added in Acrobat DC.

If you are referring to the highlighted part in the picture shown below, then this is the design behavior of application and this is how it works.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2018 Jun 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that unlike almost every other desktop application under the sun, Acrobat DC's "Menu>File>Save as..." menu (or shortcut) command does not directly take you to a normal, system-UI-based "Save as" dialog. Instead, there is an intermediate dialog that offers to save it in 5 recent "My Computer" folders or in a cloud service. To get to a more normal saving dialog, one has to then click one of those folder paths or click "Choose a different Folder...". This can be irritating if the user is a person who is repeatedly needing to save to just the same local folder.

This, of course, was not the case prior to "DC" Acrobat, and is arguably a poor design for many people who are mostly saving to their local computer (which may be folders that are automatically backed up to a cloud service anyway, so they don't need any extra cloud options to be provided by a particular application).

However, as the dialog was clearly designed to promote use of Adobe's DC and CC cloud services, indeed "this is the design behavior of application" and I don't expect it to change for the better for local-saving users. Note that for the cloud service options (unlike the "My Computer" option), the user immediately sees a file exploring interface -- there's no "recent folders" list with an added click-through necessary to open up a file saving dialog. (However, that  cloud service folder-browsing interface isn't great either -- so far, it lacks the view options, search features, expandable trees, etc. one sees in native file browsing dialogs on desktop OSes.)

Contrast Acrobat DCs approach to the Save As dialog with recent MS Office versions' "Save As" dialog -- in the Office case, there's an "Online Locations" button added to the otherwise standard "Save as..." dialog, that let's you *switch* to a cloud service saving mode.

One oddity is that Acrobat DC (at least in the Mac version I'm using) isn't even consistent on this yet. Thankfully, The "Menu>File>Open..." command brings up a normal system UI Open dialog, but I won't be surprised if that gets changed as well. Even more users would complain about that, however.

As mentioned in the "Acrobat DC SO HORRIBLE it's making me want to cry"  thread, however, if one doesn't need the DC services, one solution for this might be to reinstall XI. However, that's not a solution in perpetuity; that version is no longer officially supported, as mentioned in an Adobe blog post​, and thus won't be getting further functionality, format-handling, or security updates. (The Adobe Support Policies: Supported Product Versions page is seemingly contradictory on this, listing XI Pro both under "Supported Perpetual Products" and in a second table that lists support as having ending on 10/15/2017, but given the clear blog post, the first table seems to be either in error or to be using the words "supported perpetual" to mean something other than their plain English meaning.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2018 Jun 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“Perpetual” is a reference to the type of license (in contrast to a subscription). It is NOT a promise to support perpetually. XI is indeed end of life and no longer receives security updates.

If you don’t like the new open and save dialogs you can turn them off (separately) in preferences. Sounds as if on the Mac you’ve already turned off the open dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I had somehow missed that option. Your reply is the the one this thread should have gotten to begin with -- the other essentially seems to state "this is intended behavior; deal with it". I would now delete much of my previous post if possible.

Regarding the table wording, however, I maintain that the table column should not be headed "Supported Perpetual Products" -- or rather, XI should be moved out of that table to a separate table that says "No longer supported Perpetual Products" (and that table wouldn't be directly below a introduction saying, in the present tense "Product support is available for the products and versions listed below" being instead placed in a new section with an intro of "Product support is no longer available for the product versions listed below"). It's perfectly understandable that a company needs to end support for an old product version, but it should be moved to a table that is described accordingly.

Or there could just be one table, but it should just have column headings like:

Perpetual Products | Most Recent Version | End of General Support | End of Gold Plan Support

(And with this as well, the intro should be changed to clearly state that the table following it lists both currently supported and unsupported products and versions.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: I recently found when installing Acrobat DC in a separate new computer, that of the aforementioned 2 settings (in Preferences>General),

• "Show online storage when opening files" was defaulted to unchecked, while
  • "Show online storage when saving files" was defaulted to checked.

So, for the record, the above was apparently not a case of me having previously turned off the former but not the latter, but simply a matter of defaults.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After spending about 20 minutes trying to figure out why the hell the 'save as...' interface on my freshly installed MBP has changed and how to turn it off, i just had to google for a solution.

Default the "Show online storage when saving files" option is checked, but it didn't seem to be the option I was looking for. I was scanning for a 'Use operating system default save as dialog' or 'Hide Acrobat specific save as user interface' option. These Acrobar DC preferences are killing me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the original reply was unhelpful and full of bad attitude. It's clear what the problem is and it annoys me and everyone I have ever known and worked with aswell. It doesn't even keep track of your manually chosen Recent Folders either, so it's of no use at all except another cunning way to try and coerce people into saving everything in their cloud rather than on their local device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe, Microsoft, Google, and Apple iCloud- are all severely guilty of upselling their cloud services over a local option to save content. iCloud on the other hand doesn't believe in clearing cache from all the 100s of apps on their phone so that every app becomes bloated and Cloud space becomes mandatory for every user. Check out their Settings > Apps and Storage option and see how much space Documents and Settings occupy. You can delete the app and reset the account settings and the app Doc and Settings will become negligible without any compromise in the app. SCAM!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines