How to enable scroll bar in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I display a scrollbar in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? My version is 2019.021.20061. I need this to scrool through a document with many pages. There is an answer for Acrobat Reader 11 to set Touch Mode=Never, but that doesn't show the scrollbar in my version. Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, How to, Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the forum for Acrobat Reader.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the forum for Acrobat Reader

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be "Touch Mode". 

1.  Go to Edit>Preferences>General>Basic Tools section.

2.  Select Never in the Touch Mode pop-up menu

3.  Click OK in the Preferences window.

See if that makes a difference

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but as noted in my original post, that is the first thing I tried and it didn't work. I think the software developers forgot to include the scroll bar 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem (the suggested solution did not work). I had Slovene version. When I downloaded a new version from the UK page in english the scrolbar appeared (as well as some additional options not enabled in the Slovene version).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.   MOST .PDF files have the scroll bar on the side but sometimes they do not.

It is rare that this happens and  I think that PDFs may be designed so that scroll bars are not going to be available.

If that is the case, how do they do this ?  Continuous scroll is available, just not the scroll bar.  Turning off TOUCH has nothing to do with this one.  In fact, I have 5 PDF tabls open and only this one (a magazine) does not have the scroll bar.

It may be that nobody else in the world has seen or heard of this.  I tend to get very special problems in windows 10 especially but I have seen this issue off and on for many years now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have never heard of this happening for specific PDFs. There isn't anything in the PDF rules for "turn off scroll bar". If any of these problem files are public, you might like to post a link so others can take a look.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try to find a link for one of these PDFs. 

It is rare, but they seem to exist at least for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see exactly the same thing. Several PDFs are open and all show the scroll bar, except for one. In my case it is also a magazine that does not show the scroll bars.

All  "General" settings would apply to all opened PDFs, no? So there should not be a difference, but there is.

The property to enable/disable scrollbars therefore must be in the document, not the application.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, found it. There IS an option in Acrobat to set it on a PDF, that applies when it is opened. There is no option in Acrobat or Reader to override it. It's a real nuisance, I wish designers would stop trying to decide to hide scroll bars because that isn't how THEY navigate. The end user should have control.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for verifying my suspicion that this can be set when creating the PDF document.

Very weird that this can not be overridden but I believe it !

Happy new year !

And better, hopefully.

boB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines