Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import data from a .CSV file into Adobe Acrobat

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, 

I have a small business which deals with personalisation. I have created a personalised letter which goes out to my customers each month inside their subscription box. At the moment I am going into the backend of the website, copying their names and pasting it into my illustrator file and exporting it as a PDF. However this is long and laborious. 

I have the ability to download a .CSV file which has the names of the customers on, so is there a way for me to input specific fields from this file into my PDF? 

Thanks,

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This process is called Mail Merge. You just need to add fields to your PDF form that match the names of the columns in your CSV file and then use a tool to import the data into it, generating a unique file for each recipient.

This can be done using the Adobe PDFMaker plugin for Word, or using a script, like this (paid-for) one I've created, which will even allow you to automatically email the merged files to the recipients if your data file includes their email addresses.

You can find it here: http://try67.blogspot.com/2011/09/acrobat-mail-merge-and-email.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. Can I do this without using a PDF form?

I have designed a personalised letter in illustrator then saved it as a PDF. I then open this PDF in Acrobat, it is here I want to input the name onto an A5 letter along with a C6 envelope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it can be done with comments instead of form fields, but that's much more complicated.

Why don't you want to use a form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess it's because it's a bespoke design, I haven't really looked into form formatting. I will take a look at it as an option though. Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should also take a look at doing this in Word. Word is really good at doing a mail merge of letters and can use a CSV file directly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't thought of that. I have just looked into how this could work and I think it might be a much simpler approach. I think I was making it too complicated. Thanks so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a bespoke layout that you want to mail merge, you should use InDesign. You can create the layout, import your CSV, and designate placeholders for your text. InDesign will create a merged doc for you. No plugins or additional apps needed. Check out this article for how to do that:
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/data-merge.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines