• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to include PDF signature's embedded timestamp authority chain revocation info in Adobe's RevInfo

New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I'm trying to create a LTV Enabled PDF Signature.

So far I was able to make Adobe Reader display the "Signature is LTV enabled" message following these steps:

1. Retrieve revocation info (both CRLs and OCSP Responses, except for root certificates of course) for the signing certificate's full chain and for the timestamp authority certificate's full chain (used to add the signature's timestamp in step #4)
  2. Include revocation info retrieved in step #1 as a signed attribute for the signature to be computed in Adobe OID "1.2.840.113583" format:

adbe-revocationInfoArchival OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { adbe(1.2.840.113583) acrobat(1) security(1) 8 }

RevocationInfoArchival ::= SEQUENCE {
 crl  [0] EXPLICIT SEQUENCE of CRLs OPTIONAL,
 ocsp  [1] EXPLICIT SEQUENCE of OCSP Responses OPTIONAL,
 otherRevInfo [2] EXPLICIT SEQUENCE of OtherRevInfo OPTIONAL }

OhterRevInfo ::= SEQUENCE {
 Type  OBJECT IDENTIFIER
 ValValue OCTET STRING
}​

• Perform the signature
  • Embed a qualified timestamp in the signature generated in the step #3

The previous steps' output gives me the "LTV Enabled" status in Adobe Reader:

Screenshot from 2020-11-26 13-27-18.png

When I check which data Adobe Reader used to validate the certificate chain validity it presents the expected "The selected certificate is considered valid because it has not been revoked as verified using the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) response that was embedded in the signature."

Screenshot from 2020-11-26 13-30-34.png

However, when I perform the same check for the Timestamp Authority's certificate chain it presents "The selected certificate is considered valid because it has not been revoked as verified in real-time using the Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) obtained on-line."

Screenshot from 2020-11-26 14-37-27.png

The Signer's chain embedded CRLs/OCSPs are successfully used but the embedded TSA's chain CRLs/OCSPs are not.

**This begs some questions that need to be answered:**

- Why are not the TSA embedded CRLs/OCSPs embedded used?
- Do I have to place them elsewhere? If so, where?
- Or do I have to ask the Timestamping authority to return the CRLs and/or OCSP responses as signed attribute within the timestamp token?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?