• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to not have adobe reader home page stay open after closing PDF file

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I noticed with update every time I close a PDF file I'm looking at it keeps open this page with showing 'home' , 'tools' at the top and a list of all the previously opened PDF files etc.  Any way to NOT have that page always remain open.  Getting annoying having to close it every time I don't looking at a PDF. Page showing below after closing any PDF file.  Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 1.49.31 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC v2020.013.20064 for Windows (now the latest version, 16 months after my post above) still does not have the "Show home screen when all documents are closed" option available under Preferences, General. I still want it there, in working condition, so I can uncheck it. I want the app to exit when I close the last open PDF file. This is what I think others in this thread and other related threads want too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find this very annoying still and evne more annoying that his is a new "feature"

I cannot see any advantage in the application staying open after closing the last pdf.

Please Adobe do somethinh about it - all we want is a toggle on/off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, this is not just an inconvenience, but something that is crashing my Applescripts for processing PDFs. Because of this "home" window that refuses to stay closed, I have to process one PDF at a time. I do have the checkbox in preferences/General/"Show homescreen when all documents are closed" unchecked. But the app is just ignoring that preference.

I was forced to move from Acrobat 9, and automation is just a lot more difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I cannot find a setting for it anywhere.  I would like to see the solution if one is offered.  Thanks!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until they get a fix for Windows, I just hit Ctrl+Q to end the program. Works out the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

Well it is one solution but I still cant understand why the normal Windows close does not do this - I like to use my mouse wherever possible - just speeds things up.

Thanks for you help anyway.

Regards

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows, I found a solution.  In the top menu, choose Edit, Preferences.  In the General category, uncheck "Open documents as new tabs in the same window (requires restart)."

donaldh99287581_0-1670366030010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donald,

This does not work for me unfortunately.

Every time I clik it off it is on when I relaunch.

I dont know why.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Philip

Philip5EC6_0-1670414937014.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure, but if you are using a computer at a school or business, perhaps the Adobe Acrobat settings are locked so that Preference changes are not saved when the program closes?  If this is your situation, then perhaps IT staff could fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donald- no it is my own home computer - I am retired now so no IT dept to contact!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility that's easy to miss: after you make the change in Edit, Preferences, General, the program requires you to scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the OK button, which is otherwise hidden from view, and then close the program and reopen, before your preference changes are saved.

donaldh99287581_0-1670516905530.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donald,Thanks for that it is saving the preferences now.

However that is still not exactly what I want as this just opens a new pdf in a new window.

I still have to go and close each one separately.What I want is to have all the pdfs open in one window as before but when I close the last one Adobe closes too.

This used to be the case in old version I believe.

Maybe it is not possible and as I am retired now I dont really need this feature every day anymore.

It just annoys me that when they add new features they change things for the worse.

Thanks anyway for your input.

When I was working I would typically have 9 - 10 pdfs all related to the one conveyancing case open and when I closed the last one I dont see the point of having Adobe stay open.

I know it is only one more click but when you have to do it 20 or 30 times a day it gets annoying and slows things down.

Best of luck.

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philip,

I couldn't find a way to do what you're describing, which would be helpful.  It is an annoying change on Adobe's part. 

Best, Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thi Don,

Thanks for your help anyway - it is another method but does not solve the problem yet.

If you think of anything let me know through this link.

Thanks

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Halfway there! On Mac, this will prevent a new Home window from appearing after closing the final document, but it will appear when first launching the app. I, for one, don't want to see the Home page _ever_.

HEY ADOBE — NO ONE LIKES THE HOME PAGE. MIGHT WANT AN OPTION TO DISABLE IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Mac so it may be different for Windoes, but is it not as simple as unchecking this box...

davidg2020_0-1670618832694.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Yes unfortunately I think it is just an unwanted "Feature" from our friends at Adobe.

I just find it annoying as did the OP in 2018.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option has been removed in 2023 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

What do you mean it has been removed - is this on Mac - I am on Windows.

The option described by Davidg2020 above on a Mac is what I want.

Why would adobe do for Mac and not Windows?

Regards

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just looked on two computers (for Acrobat DC) and it's there on one, but not the other. Oh boy. I wonder if this has to do with my macOS version or whether I'm using Intel vs. M1. Some exploration to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have been on drugs when I wrote this. It should read "it is as simple as unchecking this box". I'm not sure how "not" crept in there. I obviously also meant "Windows", not "Windoes". As regards it being available on Mac, but not Windows, I have no idea why Adobe would allow this inconsistency - but I don't understand a lot of what Adobe does!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe does not want you to close the window automatically. In thier minds if the Home screen stays open then you have to think about Adobe. If the home screen closes automatically you don't have to think about Adobe. This has nothing to do with making the interface a better experience for the user. Its all about making sure they can occupy more of your brain attention. Even it its annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the 2023 Mac version no longer has the option to disable this. Does anyone have a way of getting the previous 2022 version? I had to go back to Acrobat 2020 as that is the most recent previous version that the download links still work. I also had to lock the Acrobat folder and disable it's startup helper to prevent it from auto-updating to 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines